free ranging for limited times

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by egyptchick, Jul 24, 2011.

1. egyptchick

egyptchick Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Ontario
    My husband accidently left the run door open yesterday. after the initial freak out of finding no chickens in the coop or run ,i found them huddled under to coop. i left them to free range the rest of the day, under supervision. i. would like to do it mpre often but i am concerned about letting them out when we are not here.

how do i let them out for an hour or so and then get them back in the run while we are gone for the day. I should mention my chickens are resistant to food bribery.

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Best way to just let them out for an hour is to so do one hour before their bedtime.
    JJ

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    No food bribery - even mealworms?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I know of no good answer for this. That's why most people do their limited free ranging at the end of the day. In my case I can free range in the morning on a hot day, because they will go in the coop where it's cool during the hottest part of the day -- if it's not cloudy or raining. I couldn't chase them all down if I wanted to.

Good luck.

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    They know their roost so will put themselves to bed. If your going to be home any afternoon/evening let em range then just go out at dusk and close the coop.

With more free ranging time and your company they'll come when you call and run for treats. Scratch is a good treat for training chickens. As their out on the lawn foraging call to them with a handful of scratch now and then. Before you know it their obedient to only your call.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  6. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    I was thinking about letting all my girls free range tonight too. I am a bit aprehensive but it might be a fun experiement and I would do it every night if I was confident. I am sure it's just me.

7. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I let mine free range also (we have a lot of bugs on our property); but if you just want to let them out for a shorter period, do it about an hour before their bedtime.

They'll put themselves to bed, and all you have to do is close the coop door behind them (count 'em first).

[​IMG]

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:The chickens cannot see at night.

9. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    My girls come running when I go into the run with treats. However, since we've built the walk in run, they aren't free ranging as much and the evening idea does work really well.

10. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    Quote:The chickens cannot see at night.

:: chuckles :: I mean before they go to bed silly. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by