Free Ranging Guineas

DdachickenBoy

Chirping
Oct 24, 2019
I am looking Into getting guineas for tick control but I have a question that I can’t seem to find an answer to. I would like to know if I can free range guineas by a busy road? I have 10 acres 6 open 4 woods however it is all on the busiest road. If I free range guineas on the back will they go in the road I have neighbors but I don’t think they’ll be a problem considering other neighbors peahens are always on our properties. I have learned how to train them to go in at night but I don’t want them to be hit by a car. I’m also wondering how many is enough for tick control? I have had quite a few ticks on me plus I’m extending my horizons by turning what was 8 chickens into a homestead.

I am looking Into getting guineas for tick control but I have a question that I can’t seem to find an answer to. I would like to know if I can free range guineas by a busy road? I have 10 acres 6 open 4 woods however it is all on the busiest road. If I free range guineas on the back will they go in the road I have neighbors but I don’t think they’ll be a problem considering other neighbors peahens are always on our properties. I have learned how to train them to go in at night but I don’t want them to be hit by a car. I’m also wondering how many is enough for tick control? I have had quite a few ticks on me plus I’m extending my horizons by turning what was 8 chickens into a homestead.
Many posters complain about their guineas always being hit on the road. My guineas do not go out on the road because they have been trained to stay away from it. Guineas can be trained to avoid specific areas by making it very uncomfortable for them to go there. @PeepsCA would teach her guineas to avoid certain areas by chasing them away from those places. Her method was to run at them while flapping a bath towel and hollering at them.

You have to be consistent when using the avoidance method and do it every time that the guineas start to approach the forbidden zone. After sufficient repetitions, they will avoid the area.

Many posters complain about their guineas always being hit on the road. My guineas do not go out on the road because they have been trained to stay away from it. Guineas can be trained to avoid specific areas by making it very uncomfortable for them to go there. @PeepsCA would teach her guineas to avoid certain areas by chasing them away from those places. Her method was to run at them while flapping a bath towel and hollering at them.

You have to be consistent when using the avoidance method and do it every time that the guineas start to approach the forbidden zone. After sufficient repetitions, they will avoid the area.
Thank you so much this is a great help knowing that I’ll try and train them to the 4 acres that’s open just for them

Thank you so much this is a great help knowing that I’ll try and train them to the 4 acres that’s open just for them
We have 10 acres on a busy, fast road. Unfortunately, I have friends who drive past and tell me sometimes they the guineas are in the road. If I can run home from work and chase them off then I do... I keep a black trash bag in my car to warn them off from the road. There is plenty of room in one other direction, they could do as far as they wanted, but it’s dense forest and ravine and they seem to prefer more open areas, like my neighbor’s pasture across the road...

We have 10 acres on a busy, fast road. Unfortunately, I have friends who drive past and tell me sometimes they the guineas are in the road. If I can run home from work and chase them off then I do... I keep a black trash bag in my car to warn them off from the road. There is plenty of room in one other direction, they could do as far as they wanted, but it’s dense forest and ravine and they seem to prefer more open areas, like my neighbor’s pasture across the road...
I was lucky enough to find a hatchery that pinions them so I no longer have to worry!

Back
Top Bottom