1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

free ranging hens and meaties together, but separate coops?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by HeatherAllyce, Feb 17, 2016.

1. HeatherAllyce

HeatherAllyce New Egg

Feb 12, 2016
    Lempster, NH
    We are starting our flock in the spring with 12 layers and 6 guinea hens. We also want to raise possibly two batches of meat birds before the winter. Our winter-proof chicken tractor cannot hold all the hens and 12 meaties as well, so I plan to build a more temporary chicken tractor for them, but also let them free range still. Is this going to be super complicated to have both flocks free ranging and then get them into their separate pens at night? Should I shoot for one big coop to hold all of them instead?

2. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Hens can be very insistent on where their home is. So if they are used to going in a certain coop they probably won't change if they don't have too.

When I was intergrating some hens a couple of years ago, I moved the adults hens into the bigger coop and moved the chicks into the small coup and run. One of the adult hens was so annoyed at being moved and not being able to sleep in the old coop that she would sleep on top of her old coop instead of the new one!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I don't think you'll have a problem. Start them separate, brood them in their respective coops and they'll be very dedicated about going back there to sleep.

4. HeatherAllyce

HeatherAllyce New Egg

Feb 12, 2016
    Lempster, NH
    Thanks guys! I'll move ahead with my plan!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by