Free ranging in the forest...

Chook to chook

Chirping
Sep 29, 2017
Santa Cruz Mountains
Hello there chickenfolk! We are raising a small flock in the Santa Cruz Mountains in northern California. I was just wanting to know if there was anything I should be aware of regarding raising chickens in a forested area. We have the predator situation under control (knock on wood!) but am wondering about finding enough vegetation, any mushrooms or other forest growth that we should be on the lookout for, those sorts of things. The chickens seem to know what to avoid but I do worry that they will start picking at fern and ivy, which is everywhere here, if they aren't getting enough greens during winter. Thanks for any input you might have. We have only had our flock about a year and are still learning.

:welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here !

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/)
It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

No matter what, always ALWAYS be on the lookout for predators. We've had chicken keepers here on BYC who have had their chickens snatched while a step or two away!

One last thing, if you're into gardening, feel free to join this years SEED SWAP (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-swap.1220129/)

karibu.jpg
:welcome:goodpost::highfive::jumpy
Is there anyway we could see pics of your forestry chickens? :thumbsup

Not trying to be mean but how exactly do you have the predator situation under control? Is the forest fenced? I don’t think a forest can be made safe for chickens. There is always something looking for a chicken dinner.
Yes, It's fenced and we also have a fort knox of a run. We don't let them free range if we aren't going to be home. It's in a neighborhood that is busy enough during the day to be unattractive to larger predators. Most of the predators here are nocturnal anyway so daytime is pretty low threat. The nighttime is the only time I get a little nervous but our girls are in before dark and they have multiple layers/ barriers with wire trenches & flood lights on motion detectors so its highly unlikely anything will be able to get anywhere near them.

Yes, It's fenced and we also have a fort knox of a run. We don't let them free range if we aren't going to be home. It's in a neighborhood that is busy enough during the day to be unattractive to larger predators. Most of the predators here are nocturnal anyway so daytime is pretty low threat. The nighttime is the only time I get a little nervous but our girls are in before dark and they have multiple layers/ barriers with wire trenches & flood lights on motion detectors so its highly unlikely anything will be able to get anywhere near them.
To clarify, we are in a mountain area with a large plot full of oak, redwood, walnut, etc.. There is natural vegetation including fern and ivy. We are lucky enough, however, to be in a neighborhood within the mountain community so it's not a lone house in the middle of the woods by itself.

Back
Top Bottom