1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free ranging in the rain, OK?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Darklingstorm, May 2, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Rainy question: I have 6 - 12 wk old mixed chickens, 3 - 8 wk wynadottes and 2 ducks. I normally let them free range but I'm worried about all the rain.
    Their run is not really flooded but there are some pools that really cut down on the room (planning on fixing that after the rain stops).
    Will they be OK to free ranging in the rain? I'm worried about the bigger ones picking on the littler ones in boredom.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yes, they should be fine. You'll wonder why they're out there getting drenched but they'll be fine. Some breeds don't like to be in the rain but most have no problem with it. It's odd how they don't like to be wet if you want to bathe them or just sprinkle some on them when it's hot, yet will free range in cold rain like it's a sunny day.

PS - heavy rain brings earthworms to the top in those puddles. A couple of my hens have that figured out and when it rains they check out all the puddles.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  3. waterguy81

waterguy81 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    Southwest Louisiana
    My chicks (RIRs) (26) are in an on the ground open air run / coop and they go crazy for the new things water brings into there world. ha ha. They get so busy pecking around at the new bugs, grass, and there reflections that i never worry about it anymore. As long as they have some always dry area to get.

Yeah, they do hate when I spray them with water and they run when I clean their area with the water hose. But, as soon as it rains or it is puddles of water they go wild.

Good luck with yours

4. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Well I let them all out. The ducks are very happy and the chickens - so far- refuse to come out of the coop. Figures, I freeze my bottom off yesterday rounding them up and today they refuse to come out. [​IMG]

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:LOL yep sounds like my luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by