Free Ranging in Winter

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kansasgirlinutah, Nov 3, 2011.

1. kansasgirlinutah

kansasgirlinutah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    We live in Northern Utah and get a fair amount of snow every winter. Since my girls have gotten used to free ranging every day, would it be ok to let them continue when there is snow on the ground? I know they won't really find anything to eat, but just for the exercise and getting out of the coop daily. We don't even have a run for them since the whole yard has been their run. ;-)

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Mine do....during heavy snows you might want to trample or shovel them a space to get out into. They can't actually forage during those times but I throw down some BOSS in the deep litter and onto the snow to give them something to do and the fresh air and sunshine are good for them if they can get outside.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep, it'll be fine. We don't get as much snow as y'all do, by a long shot, but we do get alot of ice. I let my free ranging birds out every day, leaving their pop door open so they have the choice to go out or not. They always choose out.

4. kansasgirlinutah

kansasgirlinutah Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Well, that feller at the store was right......Chickens ARE easy!!!! Thank you for your replies.

5. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    Quote:So do mine.....360 days a year. If it's really windy they go out of the wind, but they would rather be outside whenever possible.

6. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    We had quite a bit of snow last year and i let my hens choose, i just opened the coop door and they had the choice to come and go as the pleased, they spent most of the time outside.

7. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Kat'sChicks :

So do mine.....360 days a year. If it's really windy they go out of the wind, but they would rather be outside whenever possible.

x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by