1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free Ranging My Flock. Grasses To Plant?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SupaChickn, Sep 20, 2012.

1. SupaChickn

SupaChickn Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2012
    Harrison, Ga
    I have been keeping chickens since I was a kid, but not untill about 6yrs ago was I introduced to free ranging them to make them healthier. I now have 20 acres, 40 chickens and have 3 acres of grass yard, the rest is wooded, and my flock stays out grazing all day and seem to be plenty healthy from foraging in the woods and off the grasses already there. Tho I am wanting to plant a food ploot closer to their new coop and am not sure exactly what to plant. I was thinking about planting rye grass, leafy cabbages and a mixture of the food plot seed that i usually use for my deer. Would this sufice or is there something else i can plant that is better for them? Any info would be helpful.... thanks.

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Plant Bird Seed. It's cheap, and they will eat the greens and seeds too

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Don't know what seeds are in the seed for the deer so I don't know what else to suggest. Usually if deer can eat it so can chickens. But it sounds like a good start. If it doesn't have alfalfa in it already might consider it.

4. SupaChickn

May 26, 2012
    Harrison, Ga
    Thanks. I went and bought some birdseed yesterday to add to the mixture of seeds.

5. SupaChickn

May 26, 2012
    Harrison, Ga
    The deer mix has mostly clovers and other protein rich leafy plants included in it. And ive read, "The more protein the better" so it should be good for them

6. RedStarLady1207

RedStarLady1207 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2012
    Maryland, USA
    Is alfalfa bad for chickens?

Bird seed will sprout lots of things but won't the seed, if just broadcast, also draw wild birds and other rodents which would increase the disease factor?

I also want to plant various seeds as my 3 girls have pecked the lawn grasses to death, have not had to mow that area all summer. There is still grass but I'd like to plus it up with other plant materials.

I thought I'd wait until a snow storm was imminent and get some seed out just before.

I have grass seed but I don't know if it is coated with anything or not (just cheap quick grow stuff). I do have tons of mixed weeds in the rest of my back yard mixed with lawn grasses, but I can't let my chickens out there as too many people will see them. I guess I could broadcast the seed heads (dandelion and plantain mostly). Also, lots of white clover. I plan on sprouting sunflower seeds and other sprouts in winter for fresh treats.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  7. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    Not at all! Alfalfa is good for most all livestock...and people too!

8. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I've heard chickens like chickweed, and that it grows fast and spreads like crazy. I'm thinking about starting some for mine. I plant some clover, and like the above posters- bird seed. [​IMG]
    Don't know about alfalfa, I plan on giving mine soaked alfalfa pellets this winter so would like to hear if there are any reasons I shouldn't as well.

9. SupaChickn

May 26, 2012
    Harrison, Ga
    I read today that alfalfa is a good option for them so im looking into getting some for them also. Also just an idea i had i thought i would pass along.... I have a run where they stay when i am gone on long weekends and they had nearly plucked it clean of grass so I made a circle of wire (about 3ft across) and placed it in in the center of the run and water it whenever water the chickens. I know have a nice enclosed grass buffet foe them to eat on. They stick their heads through the fence holes to get at the gras to eat but cant get in it to eat and scratch up all the grass. Didnt know if any of you could use that idea.... I can post a picture of anyone needs to see what im talking about. Thanks for all the input yall :)

10. Nathan Sampson

Nathan Sampson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Whitewater Mo
    Post the pic. Please I would love to see it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by