Free Ranging my peafowl

Peachickmom

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2022
I just bought 5 adult peafowl (1 male, 4 female) in June. I've had them in a chicken wire enclosure since I bought them, they are 3-5 yrs old. I have tried twice to let them free range. I open the door for them to go out, but they just stand there. The first time two of them went out, stayed really close and returned without venturing too long or far. I want to be able to give them their freedom and let them feel the grass under their feet, not to mention we have too many snakes and frogs in the yard that I would like dwindled down.:D Today, I left the door open for them and went down to my pond to feed my fish. They just watched from the door! I don't want to kick them out either, I just thought that they would be happier to be able to get out and about. We live on 20 acres, so space isn't an issue. Do they want to free range? Are they too old to learn how to free range? Should I just be happy?

Open the door in the morning and close it at night but always feed inside the pen so they want to come back to safety. They are curious so they will come out but do not chase them out, they could take flight and fly too far. I would normally say to only let a couple out at a time but yours seem to be happy where they are.

Back
Top Bottom