Free-ranging on yucky days?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bettacreek, May 18, 2010.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    For those who free-range, do you guys let them out on yucky days, or just leave them in for the day? What if the yuck goes on for a week? We had a cold snap that lasted a week and I left everyone in the whole time. The run turned to yuck (11 ducklings, 7 cornish x and four chickens in the same pen for a week straight). It's raining now, and I feel bad that everyone's stuck in the pen, but I certainly don't think that they'll be much better hiding under our cars. Any input?

2. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    I do not have a pen so mine free range every day no matter what the weather is like. I have pics on their blog out in snow and yesterday we had rain. Chickens have enough places to get out of weather if they want too. Most do not seem to mind it.

3. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Alright, I'm going to let them out. They're about half soaked in mud anyways. Thank you. [​IMG] I wonder how it affects their foraging.

4. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    My free ranging ladies don't seem to be bothered by the weather, at all. They'll continue foraging away, occasionally finding a barn to pop into to dry off for a couple minutes then head right back out. In fact, this is a picture of one such brave chicken this winter...

[​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Neeley, I LOVE that photo!

Bettacreek, mine go into the run any day, and if I'm home, I let them free range outside of the run in my back yard (which is pretty darned big) even on yucky days. They don't mind rain, but they are not happy in the wind. They'll go back into the coop for shelter at will, but most of them are outside all day long even in the rain.

Luckily, this part of California doesn't get snow, although there is hail and some long below-freezing cold snaps. Rain and wind are the worst they have to deal with.... and shortly, there won't be any rain for a few months. (So I have a yard umbrella set up to offer some shade IN the run.)

6. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Mine love the rain it seem the worms are out in the rain. so I let them free range.

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Neeley, that's a beautiful picture but it makes me chilly! LOL......now, in August, when it's been like 85 or 90 and humid for MONTHS, then that pic will look really good to me. [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    In the rain, in the snow, during ice storms, when we're under tornado watches - my chickens go out.
    The only time I was concerned about them was when it started hailing in the middle of the day. They sought shelter down by the storm cellar (there's a ravine), rather than go back in their coop.

9. chickensnax

chickensnax Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2009
    south Texas
    My flock does well when it rains. If its just a light drizzle or scattered showers they are out in the midst of it
    foraging away looking rather soggy but not bothered. WHen the rain picks up or is a heavy rain they will seek
    shelter untill it lightens up. The other morning it rained really hard and my rooster was standing in the door
    of the coop looking forlorn waiting for it to ease up. The only real big problem is we have a nice covered patio
    that they all like to hang out under when it rains really badly, its the biggest and driest place, can't say that I blame them, but
    they sure leave a mess of poo when they are there. Plus I feel sorry for them in their coop when it rains because it just turns
    into a soggy mess, and its under some big oak trees and is really depressing when it rains.[​IMG]

10. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    The only time I worry about them on rainy days is when it's going to be near freezing at night. They have plenty of shelter during the day. Mostly they hang out either in the greenhouse or crawl under the shop and take a dust bath if it's pouring out. I leave them out if it's stormy too unless I know for sure we're about to have flat-line winds or there is a certainty of tornadoes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by