free ranging ornamental pheasents...

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by Bayrider16, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Bayrider16

Bayrider16 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    I love to free range all my birds, but I'm getting a pair of lady Amherst pheasents next year and I don't believe in clipping wings (really, my dad dosnt). But I want to free range so I was thinking about clipping their wings for just for awhile so they can free rnage for at least a bit. . They will be raised in a enclosed pen though. So will they know to stay in the area? And how can I tell when they are getting their feathers back and cab fly away?? I will be getting then as juvinilles btw.

2. JJRS

JJRS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Pheasants do not free range (home).

3. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I think the only pheasant you can free-range are peafowl.

[​IMG]

4. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Like the others have said. they will walk ,fly, and hop on down the road. No loyalty.[​IMG]

5. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    But they are so beautiful flying away.
    In N.H.,Tony.

6. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    [​IMG]. Yea that they are! Theres a male LA pheasant flying around the city and a coupla of exotic quail and not so exotic ones. I havent seen him or any of the quail in a long longtime.Maybe an animal or person got him. But every now and again hear a quail.(bobwhite).

7. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Put some eggs under a broody hen. Disease could threaten, put if they are kept away from the breeder pair don't worry about it. And let her raise them and see if they stick with the chickens. Worth a try IMO.

8. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    tried that many years ago myself, the chicks don't even stay with the chicken once they are fit enough to walk after the hatch, they just walk away and disappear. Would check on the hen with eggs partially hatched go back 2 hrs later to empty shells but no chicks, found them scattered up to 200 yrds from the mothers nest walking with purpose, and out of 13 only found 2.

9. JJRS

JJRS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    I hand raised 18 or so ring necks a few years ago. They would hop into my hand to eat and be petted. I released them from the pen and all had left the property within 24 hours never to be seen again.

10. Derrchickens

Derrchickens New Egg

Oct 3, 2013
    I'm new to pheasants also.....so there is no way to raise them without keeping them in a pen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by