Free ranging problems

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tenmore, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    I have an 1.5 acres for my chickens to free range on....All grass and dirt yet I cant keep them out of the front yard and off the front porch. They wont even venture towards the pasture or horse pens. Now they are heading toward the neighbors houses..... My question is how can I get them to venture towards the back of the property..And why do they find my front porch so attractive? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    do you come from the front porch when feeding them?

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Do they get under the porch? Have you giving them treats on the porch?

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    You have to get tuff. Go to the livestock store and get a sorter with the flag on the end. It is a long stick. And chase them wildly off the porch and out of the front. Also try herding them to the horse area using the sorter or a stick, when you first let them out of the run. There will be good scratching and picking there, and they should love it.

Also fence off any easy digging, like a garden bed.

Mine were up here at the house all the time, and I didn't think I could train them, but DH did. He used a bb gun, I think, but he is not telling. However, my roo found the corals, and they head there most morning.

Mrs.K

5. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Might be a matter of what kind of cover they can get to quickly. They may be choosing to keep to where they feel safer.

6. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Quote:I concur. My birds were ALWAYS on my porch and deck, until not (12 and 9 weeks), they are just starting to go into the yard. Plus they hung around the cement slabs out in front of the garages... So I had to hose the huge flight of stairs off and the cement slabs EVERY SINGLE DAY [​IMG]... I was thinking of a run option but i didnt want to. But they learned to hate my broom and run like heck from it. So thats how i get them where i want them.

7. Tenmore

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Thanks all...... For about 3 weeks they stayed within 60 feet of the coop and acted like the change from grass to gravel driveway was a fence that could not be crossed. But now they head straight for drive way and front porch area.
    1. porch is all concrete no access underneath
    2. porch is in direct sunlight all day not going for the cool concrete
    3. never ben fed from there
    4. when I go out to feed and do chores I go out the front, side, and back doors just depends.
    5. they go right by 3 trailors that until now they were hanging out by and under for shade and cover
    6. their not getting into the flowerbeds or even on the grass just the driveway and porch..
    7. dont get it.... if they just go the other way they would have a 16x32 hay barn and horse shelter to hang out in the horse corrals and than a 3/4 acre pasture full of grass and bugs. [​IMG]
    Ill try the flaging trick it works well to move the horses off when needed and that will work well for my boys who the roo has been getting a little agressive with trying to show them he is boss. But guess what hes not and he better learn that quick or we will be having a bbq but that a differnt problem. well anyway thanks for the suggestions..wish me luck.

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Put food & water where you want them to be. You can remove the food & water when you lock them up at night.

9. Tenmore

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    Quote:Ive been throwing the scratch out for them in the horse corral and they see me doing it but for some reason they wont come out there....If me and the kids do manage to get them out there they are to worried about getting back to eat the scratch.... [​IMG] who wanted chickens anyway? Oh ya I did [​IMG]

10. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Are they afraid of the horses and getting chased and stomped by the HUGE monsters?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by