Free ranging: schedule changes throughout the seasons

Hi all, I have six 19 week old pullets and this is my first time raising chickens. So far I have only experienced end of spring/summertime with them. As of now, they stay in the coop and run till around 12 or when the eggs are layed, then they free range till bedtime.

I am assuming their free range time will change in the fall and winter though. I am curious- if you free range, what does that look like for you across the seasons and weather changes? Do you free range less in the fall/winter? Due to weather or increased predator activity? Any and all details on what you do I would be very interested in! Thanks also this post may fit better in the flock management thread but I'm especially interested in free range changes due to predator activity across seasons.

I have no run for my large flock, so we free range year round, and attempt to manage predators. Sometimes we win, sometimes they win.

My birds go out a lot less during winter, and if we are experiencing loses the birds behaviors change. They range less, and stay closer, and they may alter when they go out.

Back
Top Bottom