Free ranging with deep snow on the ground

chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

Songster
13 Years
May 11, 2010
Plymouth, Massachusetts
We finally have sunny weather and its 40 degrees -- feels like a heat wave
clap.gif
Our girls free-ranged until the snow and bitter cold weather arrived in mid-December ... will they find their way back to the coop at sunset with deep snow and ice on the ground
idunno.gif
the temps around here will go back down to the teen's tonite

If everything is covered in snow I would keep them in.

If there is grass exposed, I would let them out. I am pretty sure they can find the way back.

I let my chickens decide what they want to do, I am crazy and shovel for them though. I do what I can to encourage them to go out and poo outside. If it's too cold and snowy then they dont go out, but some days they surprise you!

I let mine out and the flew towards their favorite area (that was pretty clear, up by the house). When it was time to go in, they flatly refused to fly back, so I had to carry them. If you don't have too many, and they will let you carry them, that might be an option.

I HATE WINTER.

Our come and go if they want. Some like being outside unless its in the teens or below, windy or sleeting. They're so funny to watch. I wish they'd come out to poo.
tongue.png

I've never had that problem. I give mine the option and a few walk through 4" of snow to get to the compost heap to see what goodies I've left them, but most will not walk in the snow. I've had a very few do a little exploring in the snow, but very few and not for long. Makes me wonder if that hen was looking for a hidden nest that was covered in snow? Mine always find their own way back. Mine will roam in single digit Fahrenheit weather. They do not like the wind but the cold does not seem to bother them.

I absolutely believe that some people have chickens that trap themselves on islands of thawed or clear ground or in outbuildings and do not return by themselves. I think the bright white snow that keeps it so much lighter outside if there is any light could mess them up too. They may not realize it is bedtime until too late.

I can't tell you what yours will do. I give mine the option, most (but not all) stay out of the snow, and they all find their way back. Your results could be different.

Had our first 40 degree since New Year's yesterday and they wandered out 20' farther than they have in a month.
One hen got herself up in a snow drift, where I found her, hours later. Her feet were cold and she wouldn't stayed there and died, I believe.

Anyhow took her back to the barn. Chickens are funny creatures.

We have about 5 inches on the ground here in Denver, but when I went to open the coop to bring the girls some cabbage and fresh water this morning, they ran out the door. So. . .I guess they would rather venture in the snow then stay cooped up all day. I left the door open and figure that if they choose to go back in where it is dry, then they can.

I have about 18" of snow on ground. Birds have to go some distance from coop / roost to get to food set out for them. If they can walk on snow, then they will easily to feeders. Those that can fly (games) do so while the dumpy butts (dominiques) largely walk point to point. When snow to soft to walk on, the doms flutter a across it with great effort. Regardless of how easy snow is to walk, when snow is deep, chickens unable to scratch for forage and plant materials above snow not as edible as that under.

Regardless of food options, with greater snow cover, mobility of chickens is reduced as are alternative prey options for predators. Snow cover for me means greater risk of predation on my flock.

Back
Top Bottom