Free ranging worry

Wise vagabond

In the Brooder
May 7, 2017
So after the 5th day of rain straight, I wanted to let the girls out of the run and have some fun in the backyard and not be bored in the run all day. Unfortunately, our neighbors have barn cats for killing mice and while my girls can run fast I've watched them chase down and kill rabbits that got too close to the barn.
Is there anything I can do to help keep my girls safe beside me just sitting out there like a watchdog?

I like to have a mean rooster. I have had some awesome roosters that can fight off the toughest dogs, cats, and even hawks.

I feel like a cat would be easy to scare off if one tried to fight back. More out of pleasure to chase and kill, I am sure they would chose a safer prey to catch if they had to fight too hard for a chicken. Maybe even a guard goose for your flock?

Personally, if they're full-grown, I wouldn't worry about it at all. The cat might make them nervous, but I doubt a cat would try killing your hens, as they're a lot bigger than cats.
The owner of a barn I ride/volunteer at has cats, ducks, (and even has/had ducklings and chickens), and there's a couple of rabbits there that one of the cats has tried to catch, but I'm pretty sure that cat leaves the ducks alone. So I'm sure your girls are good to go. :)

I have two cats and they actually used to be afraid of my chickens. Now they just pass by foraging hens like they don't even exist. Maybe if your neighbor has very big tomcats you should be concerned, but otherwise, I don't think that they should cause much trouble.

My flock of 13 are now from 4 1/2 to 6 months old and have lived in a chicken tractor. They get along pretty well, but I have 1 older rooster and 2 younger and they are starting to worry the older one. I would like to open the door to the run and let them free range our place, but I am so afraid for them. We have 10 acres with a river bordering the south end. Almost all of the land is field except for along the river side where we have large trees and cane. We also have several cabins and structures up a ways from there to provide hiding places. My husband insists on leaving the tractor close to the trees. Where would be safer...or does it matter if they roam everywhere?

And will they come back to the coop before dark? I am really worried and afraid to lose a precious bird.

Free ranging chickens anywhere is risky, and losses will occur at times. You need to be able to accept the risk, or have your flock in a predator proof coop and run 24/7.
There are strategies that reduce risk somewhat; electric fencing, properly set up, will discourage land predators very effectively, and overhead netting will help keep raptors at bay. Trained LGDs, a project taking maybe two years, and $$$, work well.
Domestic cats will be happy to eat chicks if there's no big broody hen guarding them, but most cats won't tackle standard sized chickens, or most bantams.
Otherwise, everyone loves chicken!
Mary

Free ranging chickens anywhere is risky, and losses will occur at times. You need to be able to accept the risk, or have your flock in a predator proof coop and run 24/7.
There are strategies that reduce risk somewhat; electric fencing, properly set up, will discourage land predators very effectively, and overhead netting will help keep raptors at bay. Trained LGDs, a project taking maybe two years, and $$$, work well.
Domestic cats will be happy to eat chicks if there's no big broody hen guarding them, but most cats won't tackle standard sized chickens, or most bantams.
Otherwise, everyone loves chicken!
Mary
Thank you Mary for the post. I can't afford the expensive strategies, and my hubby won't do the fencing and netting, so just one more question.....HOW do I get them to come back the first time to the safety of the coop? I have this stupid vision of letting them out and then not seeing them again. Crazy?

What kind of chickens?
I don't know the differences but I assume some are more likely to not come back. A larger flock will be more bold I reckon, add a rooster for safety, even bolder.

But, it's not hard to call em in, especially if you know what treats they like.

I only have 2, Wyandottes, in a city yard, so they don't go far, though yesterday I found em on the fence for the first time. Whistles bring em back from wherever they are. But since there are only 2, they kinda need me for support, so they don't go far.

I think any dog will deter predators, I have an unfixed male pugchow that kills anything foreign (squirrels, possums)that comes into the yard. He's not trained as a Livestock guard dog, but helps a bunch. Reckon a fixed male will be less valuable, then a female, so on...

The only thing that can really get em I'm the day is Hawks, so I got some hides set up for em. They know how to duck for cover, I got to watch it one day.

Sorce

Back
Top Bottom