Free Ranging YAY!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Quail_Antwerp, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Wasn't sure which forum to put this under, there are so many places it could fit, but anyhoo..

I think my husband is sick! I candidly mentioned I wished I could let my chickens out for a couple hours of free ranging everyday, even suggested it would help reduce feed costs...lol My husband's reply?

"Well, there isn't any garden stuff to worry about right now...." [​IMG]

I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth or to waste time! I ran for the pens and threw all the doors open!! [​IMG]

2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Awesome!!! Good luck! Remember...constant vigilance!

Check my tagline for how I feel about free ranging...

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Your chickens will love the freedom and you'll be happy knowing your chickens are.
    I'm really bummed right now because mine are locked up while they adjust to a new coop. I still go outside, but it's awful lonely.
    Good luck and keep an eye on the precious feathered ones.

4. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Well I have two coops. One has the BO's and Speckled Sussex in it. They were free ranged yesterday. Today I let out the other coop, with the Light Brahma's and Blue Laced and bantams.

What I have decided to do is let coop #2 free range in the morning hours. Bribe them back in with treats (they follow me everywhere when they see the red feed scoop, too) and let coop #1 out in the afternoon to evening hours.

Supervised of course! [​IMG]

5. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Yippee!!!!! I swear mine are so much happier when they free range. You Can see the envy on the faces of the younger ones still inside the fence.

How big is your garden? Is it fence-able? Mine is only 12 by 12 and has to be fenced for the deer any way.

6. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Too funny!

Free range is the best! They are going to be SO happy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by