free ranging

Harleychicks

Chirping
Jun 18, 2015
Poplarville, Mississippi
Hey gang I have a question, On days that I let the chickens run wild do I need to feed them before they roost for the night in their coop? They usually stay out in the woods for 8-10 hours coming back to drink and chase the dog.

I usually throw a bit of food out for them but not alot. Too much food left out at night will attract mice and other pests. A better option, because it is winter, is if you throw some food out for them to hunt in the morning when you let them out. I collect the kitchen scraps and add some grain (whatever you feed them) And put it out on my garden. This way whatever they do not eat becomes compost. All my animals pick at it and I worry less about a tempting treat for rodents.

Dido, my flower beds look just like that except mine are surrounded by grass. By the time i get to rake the mulch back in the bed, i loose half of it to grass growing over it. Lol, gotta love those chickens!

I know how that feels my roosters calls his ladys down to the mulch in the front yard and they fling the mulch about 3 feet away from my moms flower beds and i have to take a rake and fling it all back in

Back
Top Bottom