free ranging

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kimberly4403, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Kimberly4403

Kimberly4403 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2015
    I have 2x 16 week old wyandotte hens and a 20ish week old sussex who we are trying to integrate with the younger 2 original girls.. They are in a 4x4 coop and a 4x8 run ive been told in another thread on integrating them that i should let them out into the yard to forage as the extra space will help and relieve some pressure/stress as my younger existing girls have retreated to the coop.. Ive had this new girl for 4 days and she puts herswlf up at night with the other 2 in the coop and has laid 3 eggs in nest box in the coop..

Can i let them out into the yard supervised an hour before dark?

Will they come back?

Should i feed them before i let them out or just leave food in the coop while there out?

My main conern is Will they jump my 6 foot fence? I have a main road on 1 side and a big dog on the other?

What do i do if they get over the fence?

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Yeah I think it would be fine to let them out an hour before dark. Once they get tired they should all go back into the coop.

I leave the food and water in the coop and every hour I call them all back to the coop and eat and drink what they want then they go back out free ranging.

They will only jump the fence if there is a threat in the run and they need to get out and I know some lighter breeds like leghorns can jump six feet high but I'm not sure about others. If you are really concerned about that then you can put fence over the top that way the chickens can't get out and predators can't get in.

Hope that helps you! Best of luck!

3. Kimberly4403

May 18, 2015
    Theycantget out of the run its covered im worried they will get out of my yard onto the buisy road or into the next door yard with big dog

4. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Oh now I see. They most likely will not even try to jump your fence since they have food, water and shelter.

5. Kimberly4403

May 18, 2015

It gets dark around 6.30pm here so do u think i could let them out around 5ish

6. Kimberly4403

May 18, 2015
    I let them out at 5 my big new hen miss pearl was forst out it took awhile for my 2 youngsters to come out.. They did eventually.. my new girl went into the coop first and i waitedfor the youngsters to go in but they wouldn't they looked like they were searching for a roost looking up at window ledges etc by this time it was getting very dark so i managed to lure them back into the run with some corn.. Once in the run they went straight up into the coop... Is there anyway i can get them to go in by themselves will they learn eventually and icant be out there watching there every move like i was tonight as i have an 11 month old who needs feeding bath etc at that time

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd keep them supervised until things settle down.
    Try again later in day like before, but wait a few days......may have to reschedule baby chores(hard to do, I know).

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I will, at the risk of being a busy body. Your 4 x 4 coop/4 x 8 run are big enough for 3 birds. Any time you try to integrate birds in cramped quarters, it brings out the worst in them in terms of aggression and territorial issues.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1135946/integrating-older-bigger-bird

10. Kimberly4403

May 18, 2015

I know its big enough for 3 i only have the 3... Its not my 2 existing girls that are doing the chasing its the new girl.. Thats why im wanting to give them some time out in the yard but not sure about how to get my youngsters to go back to coop at night

So i should leave it for a couple of days and then try again.. Would i light help to get the young girls back?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by