Free ranging

Following! My chicks are almost 6 weeks, and my current plan is to keep them in the run for at least a week once they are moved to the coop to make sure they comfortable and know it’s home before free ranging for a few hours a day. Then as they get bigger I plan to have them free ranging all day. But I’m very interested to hear shat more experienced people say.

I didn't let mine free range at 6 weeks. Mine free ranged from about 9am-5pm starting at about 8 weeks. I lost 5 to a fox attack at around 9 weeks and didn't let them free range for a few weeks. At about 13 weeks I lost 7 to another fox attack. Best I can tell, the fox only intitially killed one chicken, but the others scatter, and at least in my case, didn't come out of hiding that evening to return to the coop and got picked off by nightime preditors. I have eliminated one fox so far, but I decided free ranging isn't worth the risk to me. I started with 19 chicks, lost 12, and am raising 12 more.

I start mine between three and four weeks. I raise a good number so can afford to loose a few. Yet very few lost since we limit free-range time by starting them late in day and have poultry guardian dogs and children watch over chickens every evening.

I didn't let mine free range at 6 weeks. Mine free ranged from about 9am-5pm starting at about 8 weeks. I lost 5 to a fox attack at around 9 weeks and didn't let them free range for a few weeks. At about 13 weeks I lost 7 to another fox attack. Best I can tell, the fox only intitially killed one chicken, but the others scatter, and at least in my case, didn't come out of hiding that evening to return to the coop and got picked off by nightime preditors. I have eliminated one fox so far, but I decided free ranging isn't worth the risk to me. I started with 19 chicks, lost 12, and am raising 12 more.

I’m so sorry :( this definitely makes me reconsider free ranging so early. I think I’ll take your advice and wait a while. They will have a nice run so they’ll still get outside time when they’re smaller.

I’m so sorry :( this definitely makes me reconsider free ranging so early. I think I’ll take your advice and wait a while. They will have a nice run so they’ll still get outside time when they’re smaller.

I knew it isn't possible to free-range without losses, but I expected an occasional single loss. I am in a high preditor area though.

Understand who's lurking on your property ( land and air ). Take notice of when they come and go. That will give you some insight on whether it's ok or not to free range.

I already knew I had foxes and raccoons, but my property is fenced that still doesn't deter them.
I did let my 4 week old chicks free range but my dog was there with them to protect them.
I never had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom