free ranging...?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by pheasant24, May 22, 2011.

1. pheasant24

pheasant24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    so are there any special tricks to gettin them to stay?
    I have just a yearling male, so do i need a female aswell?

2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I would get a female. Keep them penned for 6-8 weeks. This is what I did, worked for me.

3. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:x2 I would get a hen if you want him to stay, if not there is a good chance he will run off in search of a mate.

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    They're very social birds, really appreciate company of other birds. If this bird was raised with other peafowl, I would go along with others recommending more peafowl.

But, if he was not raised with other peafowl and/or was raised with chickens or guineas, they will work as social buddies for him. I've seen places with lone peacocks, however all of them also had other birds, chickens or guineas usually and the peacock 'followed' them around.

If you bought the bird recently, definitely don't let him loose until he has company. On their first days of being loose, it is important nothing startles or chases him.... if you have kids or dogs, keep them out of the yard while he is out so they cannot scare or chase him. If he runs or flies before really knowing where home is, he can become permanently lost. Also helps a lot if waiting until new peafowl are very comfortable with you before letting loose.

5. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Yep. I spent a lot of time with mine when they were penned. Feeding them treats, and getting them used to me.

6. pheasant24

pheasant24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    ok i guess i will get a female then! thanks yall!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by