Free Ranging

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EGGHEADnNC, May 3, 2008.

1. EGGHEADnNC

EGGHEADnNC New Egg

May 3, 2008
    Should i let my chickens out of the coop during the day ? When i first brought them home i was getting eggs everyday now i am getting none. Also is a roosting pole a necessity ? Any help would be greatly appreciated >

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Free-ranging is a personal choice. I would love to turn mine out all day every day. BUT they have a tendency to go visit the neighbors not to mention dogs, coyotes, hawks and psychoctic children in the neighborhood. I turn them out when I am home and can have a "chicken round-up" if need be.

I think roosting poles are necessary as chickens naturally roost. If you don't give them one, they will find something to use.

3. EGGHEADnNC

EGGHEADnNC New Egg

May 3, 2008
    Thank you coyotemagic i am lost right now . but i will get a handle on this egg business .

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Here, we assume our flocks will be decimated by predators so we've constructed a large run. A chicken tractor is another possibility (check coop and run design). There used to be free-rangers here, but all that's left is some lonely roosters.[​IMG]

5. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    How long have you had them?
    Do they have an outdoor run?
    Is there enough space in their coop?

Yes I think they should have something or somethings to roost on they will naturally look for a roost. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by