free ranging?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mommas chickens, Jun 7, 2011.

1. mommas chickens

mommas chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Spring Creek, NV
    Ok quick question if I start letting my hens free range during the day before they start laying eggs will they lay there eggs all over the yard when they do start laying? One of my neighbors said they would. They are about 15wks old and have been sleeping in there coop every night for about 3wks without any help from me. I just really want to at least try to see how they do free range. Any advice on the subject would be helpful.

2. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Mine have always returned to their roosting box. The wind locked them out once and they layed next to the coop. I suppose every one will be different. There are few hiding places in my chicken yard for them to feel isolated enough to have the privacy to lay.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Mine go back to the coop to lay. I have found 1 egg outside of the run, but that girl is a dummy and couldn't figure out how to get back in.

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Mine usually lay in their nest boxes in the coops, but I have one who likes to lay in an unused plantar I have on a shelf in the carport. She is there right now sitting on 9 eggs!

5. mommas chickens

mommas chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Spring Creek, NV
    Awesome thanks!! Think Im gonna be brave and try it next week I have to many things to add in chasing chickens going on this week to add that in as well. Lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by