Free Ranging

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Luvmyducks, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Luvmyducks

Luvmyducks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    We let our ducks free range in the yard during the day and twice I have seen a hawk circling the yard watching us. How do I let them have the freedom and life they deserve while keeping my sanity? I am a nervous wreck. I run around the yard with my arms out trying to round up the ducks into their house or either look big and scary so the hawk will go away. I must be a sight!! LOL My neighbors entertainment I am sure. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Can you make a big fenced yard and put netting or something across the top?

3. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Can a hawk take a full grown duck?

(please tell me no)

4. DuckLover9138

DuckLover9138 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Some people think so, but I never had a problem with it. I still think if there are a lot of people (homes) nearby, they are less likely. From my experiences, wild animals fear humans unless they have diseases. So if you see a wild animal comes closer, run...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  5. Luvmyducks

Jun 1, 2011
    I thought I read that hawks can take a full grown duck. Does anyone know for sure?

6. littlenell1

littlenell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    UK
    I lost an almost full grown runner duckling to a bird of prey. Almost had full adult feathering [​IMG]

7. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:They can, but not the larger breeds of ducks. So Swedish duck sizes and up should be safe but you never know. I have lost a full grown mallard male to a bald Eagle.

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yeah i have thought about that myself.. [​IMG] i have a nice 3ft hawk that sometimes flies about the fields around here... for now my muscovy are penned during the day but that is not the long term plan. However my birds are BIG being muscovy i think they'll be ok... we have many trees to that they can use as cover... no eagles here... owls though so they'll never be left out at night...

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My runners have a house and porch for night time, and a 10'x16' day pen with fence across the top. That's what they're in when I cannot pay any attention to them. They have a fenced garden area to run around in when I am nearby. When the red shouldered hawk comes by, they often trot into the day pen for cover. The hawk seems to look at the runners, but hasn't swooped in. I am more concerned about foxes, which have taken ducks in daytime in my neighborhood, though rarely.

I have read on this forum of people losing ducks, especially ducklings and smaller breeds, to birds of prey.

Go with your gut instincts.

10. Luvmyducks

Jun 1, 2011
    Mine are Magpies. They just sit there and look up at the hawk flying over head. I am the one running around like a nut!! [​IMG]

Our yard is fenced with a six foot fence and they have a smaller fenced area we are working on for when the dogs are out with them...then they have a nighttime pen and house. They also have a playhouse that we convered to a temp coop while the other one was being built. There are bushes and stuff for them to go under as well but they just sit there out in the open watching the hawk and then look back at me like they have no worries because I have it covered! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by