Free Ranging

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CESpeed, Dec 24, 2012.

1. CESpeed

CESpeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2012
    Hot Springs, AR
    I would love to free range by chickens and use them for bug patrol in my garden. Would it be better to have chicken coop next to garden for easier coop going at night? Or can I have the garden a distance away? What would the the farthest you would have the garden if it's not next to the coop?

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    if you wanted your birds to get all the bugs in your garden, them I would put the garden about 5 ft away from your coop. I wouldnt put the coop right next to the coop, because you might trip over it.But if its too far away, your birds might not visit it.

3. BMaverick

BMaverick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    Cross Plains, TN
    Your birds will do a garden well in the garden off season. The birds will scratch for the bugs, eat the larva, peck the weed seeds/spores, and fertilize. Start the chickens in the garden right after the last harvest. Don't pull up any of the leafy plants either, the chickens love that. Especially kale.

If you live in the mid-south, the chickens can roam the garden for meany months, if not the entire winter time. Do pull them out about 30 to 45 days prior to planting in the Spring. Much of this info can be found in this garden documentary,,, http://backtoedenfilm.com

4. CESpeed

CESpeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2012
    Hot Springs, AR
    Thank you so much for the link, I will check it out. Thank you both for the responses. I appreciate the information

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by