Free rare chick breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by raecarrow, Mar 24, 2017.

1. raecarrow

raecarrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    I ordered a batch of Buff Orpington chicks from Murray McMurray for the end of January. They threw in a "free rare chick" but didn't say the breed. The chick is now 7.5 weeks old and, from comb and wattle development, I believe it is a rooster. I first thought it was a silkie, but he isn't developing a puffed head and his feathers look normal. His skin also isn't black, his feet are feathered are yellow with black scaling. I also noticed that some of his back feathers have a green iridescence to them. He also is smaller than the buffs, but that isn't exactly unexpected.

Here are some pics I took of him today. I can try to take better ones tomorrow. He was being rather wiggly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of him at 6 weeks.
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Black Cochin cockerel.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think you have a black Cochin cockerel.

the other contender is a Langshan, but according to the Livestock Conservatory they have white skin, and this chick clearly has yellow.

4. raecarrow

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    The pictures of black Cochin chicks I've seen look nothing like he did as when he was really young. He was mostly black with light grey butt and belly fluff. He had no light coloring on his neck. I don't know if that is a normal variation. Unfortunately I have no close up pictures of him as a little chick.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  5. pineapple416

pineapple416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    I am still going to go with black Cochin cockerel, possibly bantam if he seems rather small. I currently have a bantam black Cochin hen named Olivia and bantam frizzled black Cochin hen named Tornado, for her spiky frizzled feathers that make it look like she went through a tornado! I have also had a bantam black frizzled cock named Pepper, and he was one of the sweetest ones that I ever met. I hope you have good luck with this cute little guy! Cochins sure are sweet!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    black cochin cockerel

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  7. raecarrow

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    He isn't as friendly as some of the buffs are, but he isn't aggressive. He is smaller than the smallest buff, but not by much. So I have hopes that he isn't a bantam. I've heard they are more techy than the full sized cochins.

8. raecarrow

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    He has really feathered out in the last week and a half. He is now 9 weeks old. I think I can assertively say that he is a Black Cochin. He is now bigger than the smallest buff, so I don't think he is a bantam, plus Murray McMurray doesn't have Black Cochin Bantams, only Black Frizzle Cochin Bantams and he isn't frizzled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree he's not a bantam, but I've just got to say, when you order frizzles, each chick has a 50/50 chance of being frizzled, so it is possible to get a smooth black bantam cochin from MMM.

10. raecarrow

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    Ah ok, I didn't realize that is how frizzles work. But, yeah, he is definitely too big to be a bantam.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by