FREE RIR Rooster, 6 months old, Conroe Texas

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by nursemeh, Dec 22, 2009.

1. nursemeh

nursemeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's gorgeous and looks after his tiny flock of 3 hens so well. He got a little "smart alec" with me once and after a gentle reminder that I was hiss boss, he just minds his business, never aggressive but not gonna eat out of your hand either!
    We'd keep em BUT, only problem is, we have a small backyard flock and HE is supposed to be a SHE! Not enough room for a roo in our flock!

I'll meet you anywhere around I-45 in Conroe,Spring, Woodlands area if you promise not to eat him.
    If you want to eat him, then you can come pick him up!

2. The Chickinn

The Chickinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    near SF, CA
    Is he still available? If so, would you ship him to California?

3. nursemeh

Apr 16, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    so, which is it, you're wanting BO cockerals shipped to Illinois or a RIR roo to California?

Are you in some underground rooster biz?

haha!

anyway, nope, I am not shipping anyone anywhere, thanks.

He'll just hang out in our backyard until I find someone local.

thanks for your interest!!!

4. The Chickinn

The Chickinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    near SF, CA
    To clear everything up, I am breeding many breeds at once and I need new lines to outcross with.

5. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    is he a RIR?

He is pretty...... I may be interested....... let me talk to the boss........

6. nursemeh

Apr 16, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    Bedste,

He is a RIR roo from Henderson Feed & Supply in Conroe. I got him in June as a 2 week old chick, he was supposed to grow up to be a wonderful laying hen!!!!

He is so great with his tiny flock of 3 girls. He lives a happy life in our backyard. He starting getting a little aggressive about a month ago(just doing his job, right) and he met with some fierce resistance from me ane my son and now he just minds his own business and keeps his girls well away from us pesky humans.

He has lived the last 6 months partially free ranging in our backyard and eating M-G layer feed in addition to the bugs, grasses etc he finds when he forages. He really seems a healthy, happy bird.

Now that he has calmed down and wants to live peacefully I am in no rush to rehome him, but I do want to replace him with a laying hen at some point, as I just can't devote the space to him, we are a small outfit here, with space for 3-4 chickens max!

Thanks for your interest and I'll be happy to answer any more questions you've got!

Mary

Here's another picture of the darling, just in case you were wondering is he really was handsome enough for ya!
    [​IMG]

7. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    He is beautiful..... I want him.... I have to set up a cage to quarranteen him for 30 days. My back 40 is nothing but mud...

If you still have him when I get the area set up I will take him. I have two RIR pullets and it would be great to raise pure bred RIR

8. nursemeh

Apr 16, 2009
    Conroe, Texas
    just let me know when you are ready for him. I am trying to think of a good place we could meet up in the meantime.
    You don't happen to have a pullet your not needing anymore?

I'd drive him all the way to Cut-n-Shoot for a trade for a chicken that will give me some eggs.

either way, just let me know, if I dont respond right away its cause I am not on BYC. when we first got our chicks I was on here daily. Now its every few days/week or so.

mary

9. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    Hey Mary!

No I do not have an extra pullet but that would be a great trade. If someone else offers you a trade like that, take it.

I have lost a few due to fowl pox and cocci, and now today I noticed that the three "pullets" I purchased at the Conroe Chicken Show last October are looking very much like roos.... OMG

so if you get an offer that is good for you, please feel free to jump on it and disregard our deal. No problem at all. www.thejoyhouse.net is a website that will tell you what I am doing in Cut n Shoot. I am in the process of building a rooster coop.

I would like to have pure breeds for selling and trading so I am interested in a RIR roo and Buff Roo. My plans are to keep the roos in their own cage so they will not fight. I am going to keep ONE roo with the girls at a time, or I might make a honeymoon suit where I put your Roo and the two RIR pullets for a spell..... and do the same thing with the Buffs etc... I do not have all the details worked out yet....

The three "pullets" I purchased at the Conroe Chicken Show are all three EE so I am very happy to keep them or trade them later on.... but I am bummed about the loss of three egg layers. One is for sure a roo, the other two just look suspicious.

Sorry I do not have pullet to trade, hopefully someone really really needs a RIR roo and is willing to trade. I have a friend who has a very mean and aggresive BA roo who has one foot in the frying pan. He is moulting and she thinks that she read somewhere that you can not process a chicken while they are moulting so I posted for her some Qs. I want you to know that I have no plans on sending your mr. roo to freezer camp. What is his name BTW?

10. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    another Q.... did he ever have fowl pox? I also purchased from Hendersons FEED. I love ms Henderson. She is not very smiley but she has a lot of wisdom to offer and suggestions. My Buffs that I got from her are 17 weeks old... September 2nd was the hatch date... is that your hatch date too? Did you have any problems after all the rain with the outbreak of fowl pox? Several of my friends and their chickens all along Hwy 105 all had similiar issues... Just curious

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by