Free RIR Rooster in Central New Jersey

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by JerseyFresh, May 5, 2009.

1. JerseyFresh

JerseyFresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Utah
    I'm 99% sure I have a rooster (4 weeks old) and would like to place him before the crowing starts or shortly after just to make sure he's a he. It's legal to keep him under NJ "right to farm" legislation but I'm in this for the eggs and would rather not annoy my neighbors.

PM me if interested and we'll work something out.

Alan.

2. Gregory

Gregory Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    I would like to learn more about the right to farm act, does it apply to residential areas?

3. JerseyFresh

JerseyFresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Utah
    The way I understand it is this is state legislation that "may" supersede local ordinances. If the town I lived in was restrictive I would have pressed the issue with the Right to Farm on my side.
    Luckily my town's ordinances (coop must be 100' from neighbor's door or window) don't prevent me from having as many chickens as I want or even a rooster.
    The rooster issue for me is that I want to start out being friends with my neighbors.

Do a google search for "right to farm, new jersey". That's where I got my info.

Good luck,

Alan.
    Hamilton, NJ (residential)

4. Gregory

Gregory Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Alan, thanks for the info.. Where I live it is zoned residential, would the Right to Farm law override my local zoning laws?

Are you on a residential lot, or do you have a few acres?

Greg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by