Free rooster - friendly believe a red island red

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cshouse2, Sep 1, 2014.

1. cshouse2

cshouse2 New Egg

Sep 1, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    Back in April I bought chics at Easter for the kids so we could raise them for eggs. One of them has turned out to be a rooster that I must find a home for. My neighbors love the thought of fresh eggs but definitely not the 430 am crowing of a rooster!!! Plz contact me at [email protected] if you are interested.

Thx!
    Connie
    [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry one of your babies turned into a rooster! You will want to do some chatting in your state thread. Maybe one of your chicken neighbors will take your precious boy...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/12049/ohio-come-on-buckeyes-let-me-know-your-out-there

And when you have 20 posts, you can place an ad in our Buy Sell and Trade section in hopes of finding him a home too...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16182/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing

Good luck and I hope you can find him a nice forever home. :)

3. cshouse2

cshouse2 New Egg

Sep 1, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    Great, thanks for the help!! Sure hope I can find him a nice home.

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Two Crows gave you good links. Defiantly check out the "animals in need of rehoming."

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I would guess EE

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Your rooster is definitely an Easter Egger, not a Rhode Island Red. The pea comb and greenish legs leave no doubt. If your hens are also Easter Eggers you will get eggs in different colors (blue, olive, green, perhaps beige, maybe even a pale pink or gold one). Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's favorite chickens. She loves their colored eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

7. cshouse2

cshouse2 New Egg

Sep 1, 2014
    Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks for the information. I have never heard of an easter egger. I can not wait for eggs which should be coming soon. Attached is a pic of the girls I have as well as the coop I built from a you tube video.[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice flock - hope you can find a good forever home for your rooster. He is a good lookin' EE. Welcome to Back Yard Chickens.

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You have a mix of breeds, but the two in your bottom picture are Easter Eggers. EEs are hybrids produced by crossing either Ameraucanas or Araucanas (both of which lay blue eggs) with other breeds to produce offspring that lay eggs in different colors other than just blue. There is a good article explaining the difference between Ameraucanas, Araucanas, and Easter Eggers at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html.

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by