Free ROOSTER to a good home - Los Angeles area

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Ropo, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Ropo

Ropo New Egg

Oct 27, 2009
    (Mods, hope this post is OK; yell if I've messed anything up, thanks. I think this should actually be a "buy it now" post but I'm unsure how to change it.)

Hi - I know nothing about roosters, but one has decided that my front porch in the West San Fernando Valley is his new home. He's been here 5 days and of course now I'm feeding him my leftover bread and crackers. I'd like to find a nice place for him to live where he'll be happy instead of being dinner, and where he's not cooped up all day.

I can't for the life of me figure out the breed -- he's black(ish) with a blue hue on parts, his comb is odd (strawberry-like, I saw it called somewhere) and he has a lot of feathers down to his feet. He seems to be pretty mellow and friendly from what I can tell, and he's fairly quiet other than crowing in the morning, though if you talk to him he'll cluck back at you. He's not too scared of me, so I'm sure he's had a nice home in the past, but has gotten lost or abandoned or whatever.

If anyone has any ideas on his breed, or where to re-home this guy, please give a yell ASAP, before my neighbors find out where the noise is coming from and come to my house with torches. ;-)

This is what he looks like:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance --

= Robbie =

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    he is a hatchery quality silkie [​IMG]

I wonder where he came from?

eta can you get some chicken feed for him? that would be better. Really sweet of you to care about finding him a home [​IMG]

3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    He appears to be a silkie (and his comb appears to be a walnut comb...from what I can tell anyway). Cute little guy. While I live nearby, I don't have bantams, but I will ask around my area and see if anyone is interested. [​IMG]

edited to remove mix, since ahappychick is right in that he could be hatchery stock. [​IMG]

4. Ropo

Ropo New Egg

Oct 27, 2009
    Thanks for such quick replies and the helpful info!

Yes, there is a feed store nearby where I can get some feed; I've of course been hoping it wouldn't go on so long that I had to. But he is quite happy to stay on my porch (and never leave, it seems)!

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Ah, what a cutie. Those are mighty long wattles for a silkie. You may want to run an ad on craiglist under the Pet section. Maybe someone lost him, or you may find a kind soul to take him in. Lot's of chicken owners in your area. i used to live in Tarzana. If all else fails, Red Barn Feed does, on occasion, take in chickens. Just tell them your sad story. They keep them in their barn and sell them for a couple bucks. i have rehomed some of my roosters that way.

Here is the info for Red Barn:
    18601 Oxnard St
    Tarzana, CA 91356-1410
    (818) 345-2510

6. Ropo

Ropo New Egg

Oct 27, 2009
    Quote:Thanks a bunch -- that's the feed store I live near, and if I hadn't been going to Disneyland today I was going to post a "Found Rooster" flyer there. I'll go over first thing in the morning, as it sounds like either they or a customer may be able to take him.

I first called Animal Control, but they weren't too interested as chickens aren't high priority and he didn't seem sick or injured. Then later, I didn't want to call them back because I was afraid they'd kill him and I've become attached to him, though I'm not equipped to keep him.

I'm so chicken-stupid I didn't realize he was a rooster at first, because I thought his comb was some sort of growth since it didn't have those finger-looking things on top. But when he cock-a-doodle-dooed the next morning, things became a little clearer to this city girl. ::laugle::

= Robbie =

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Definitely don't take him to Animal Control. They really aren't equipped to deal with chickens. They ship them all to one location, if i remember correctly it's their east LA facility. i went there once to look at their chickens and they had them all together with some mean ones picking on the docile ones. And the workers did not seem to have a lot of chicken experience.

8. Ropo

Ropo New Egg

Oct 27, 2009
    Again, thanks to everyone who's offered advice and info so far. It looks like I can take him to the Red Barn feed store and they'll find him a nice home. Yay!

Now I just need to trap him, which I'm sure will be worthy of a sitcom. My big plan right now is to put his food (yeah, I bought some chicken feed) inside a cat carrier and hope he walks right in. Any chance this plan will work?? I'm scared to try picking him up. Even though he seems to like me, I'm sure that's food-based and that my grabbing him wouldn't sit too well.

Anyway, I'll let you all know how it goes. Thank you!

= Robbie =

9. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    love the rooster...
    by the way I like your name also
    from Robbie in Nebraska!!

10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    A story: About ten years ago, the neighbor who lived behind my mother had chickens. They would, on occasion, hop the fence (probably looking for fresh grass and tasty treats). My poor mom would get all upset and call me and another sister, all frantic that there was a chicken in her yard. My sister would go over and chase it all over the yard. i went over and put out a cat carrier with some food inside, then made a trail of food leading into the carrier.

Guess which tactic worked. [​IMG]

i'm sure your idea will work, but if not, he does not look very menacing. Even if he does peck or bite, it will only hurt for a second.

BTW - if the chicken feed does not lead him him, try scrambled eggs, they love 'em!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by