Free Roosters-CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazychick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Hi everyone-
Well, my success at raising egg-layers seems to have come to a sudden halt. I picked up 6 Barred Rock and 6 RIR chicks (sexed) in May. After they had grown a little, I noticed that a few seemed to definitely be roosters (crowing at 6 am!!!). I contacted the woman I had received them from, and we exchanged 3 of the roosters for what she assured me would produce eggs. I kept a barred rock rooster for the girls.
I have contacted her several times over the time of raising the "girls" with general questions (this was my first attempt) and she always gave me a hand.
Well, it turns out that I have 8-9 (!!!) roosters and possibly 3-4 hens, which are not even laying yet and they are about 23 wks-which leaves me wondering if I am raising all roosters.
That being said, we need to get rid of the boys before they bloody and kill each other. They have been fairly cordial to each other so far, but I want to give them away before they get their spurs.
Our only other option (if we can't find homes) is to use them for the pot-so another question-Does anyone know who dresses birds in CT?
Hope someone can help-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom