"Free roosters TO GOOD HOMES" - a rant with poll

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tnchickenut, Jun 27, 2010.

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    I got to vent.

I put out on freecycle a add for "free roosters to good homes" and I was picky about where they went. I had a person come by and tell me they are vegitarians with 100 acres and they have 100+ chickens and needed a few roosters to help the hens out there in the wild. They "love roosters" and they "are chicken crazy" and on and on about it....

5 days later, on craigslist... i see a add from the town they live in for roosters for $10 - the VERY breeds I GAVE them - 8 birds in all. (edit to add: the phone numbers matched so I had the right person) I just wanted to give them a good home and they played the "animal lover" who just wants eggs and roosters to guide hens.

This is the second time this has happened to me. I think I find good people to take home my extra birds and I am VERY kind in giving them away for free since they are all purebreds and most are breeder stock.

It OUTRAGES me! Obviously, in such short time...less than a week... they had no intention of keeping them. They just flip birds. Am I wrong for getting totally POed!?!? I mean, I hatched these birds, raised them... paid for their feed... and these JERKS and THEIVES come in with their "we want them as pets" BS and outright LIE so I say, "sure, you sound like good people" and then find that they just turn around and sell them!!! I mean, I even gave them a bantam barnevelder roo for FREE! I thought he would be better there because he and his brother were starting to fight too much. He needed more hens than I could give him at the time... I mean... really!?!? A bantam barnevelder hatching egg is $9.... DON'T THESE PEOPLE FEEL GUILTY!?!?!?

OH I'm mad. And I will add that I emailed her a very "wordy", yet polite, email and I will tell everyone around not to give them animals. I especially like the part of my email that said "if you are into getting free things to turn around and sell, please stick to items and leave animals out of it. It's cruel to pass them around like they mean nothing." [​IMG]

I just wanted to vent to people who would understand that just because you have extras to find homes for doesn't mean you don't care about them.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I dont know, once they leave my hands, I have no control. They could be dinner, pets, or go to an auction. I have no say over what happens although I love when my animals go to good homes =]

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I agree. You gave them to a different place because you did not want them at your home. When you gave them to those people, you gave up all rights to them.

I'm doubtful they will be able to sell the birds. Nobody wants to buy roosters.

4. greathorse

greathorse Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Yes you are wrong for fussing about what the next person does with the chickens. It is not right that you were lied to but I suggest you be up front. " I dont want my roosters, who does" and you are done. In most cases their best fate is a dinner some where.

Here we are somewhat fortunate that young roosters are worth a couple of bucks each to some ethnic groups that like to harvest their own birds. I can sell all I produce for a couple of bucks. It is a money losing proposition but I dont have to butcher them and someone gets some good from them

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I completely understand your anger. They approached you with the attitude that they are going to have a good home, and that was dishonest. After that, though, they no longer belong to you. Your anger is founded. They WERE dishonest. Unfortunately, people do this kind of stuff all the time.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I hate to tell you but.. your e-mail didnt mean a thing to them. Someone who would go through all they did to tell you those lies and stuff for a few free roos...
    yeah.. you can bet that they dont give a crap about what you think of them. People like that simply do not care... they are missing a vital componet somewhere inside...
    What creeps... I truly do hate people.
    Hopefully they'll get what they deserve someday.. [​IMG]

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I definitely would be angry and probably buy them back! I took all my rooster ads off Craigslist for awhile because I was getting crazy people replying. Their emails had the word "lab" in it though they claimed they loved chickens. They couldn't tell me though what type of chickens they already had because they "don't know chicken breeds". I'm not that stupid! I may have no control over what happens to them once they leave my hands, but that is why I do extensive research on the people who take my roosters. I have only regretted one placement and I never made that same mistake again. I am still in contact with all the people who have adopted my roosters this year - 20 in all - and I get photos of them all the time. Yes, it's time consuming and yes, not everyone is willing to do this but I am and I would definitely be angry if this happened to me.

8. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    You chose to rehome them. What their new owners decide to do, or not to do with them, is honestly up to them. Right?

IMHO. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2010
  9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Thats not what its about..
    its about being lying creeps...

10. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    I know that once I sell, they are out of my hands. What I can't stand is the lying. I had people call up about the free chickens I offered. The woman said that they would make great pets for her children. I was suspicious, so I said that they were small and scrawny and bad for meat. The woman, who was previously very eager to get these chickens, said quickly that she would consider it and hung up. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: