Free run 7-8 week olds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Katejc, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Katejc

Katejc In the Brooder

Sep 17, 2019
    My chicks are not in their coop yet (its being built) and are living on our sun deck so they get no outside time unless I bring them out for a field trip. Are they old enough that I can bring them out in the yard with me and not stay on close watch? Like still be in the yard but not following them like I typically do? We have hawks and a neighbour retriever but I could put a dog kennel out so they have somewhere to take cover. Do they know to take cover? We also have ravens and magpies but they are bigger then those now. Thanks!

2. doublecrossranch

doublecrossranch Songster

May 27, 2019
    Smithville, MO
    Oh I don’t know. I have my 5/6 week old chicks in our wire covered run. But we are in the woods and fields so I don’t know.

ButtonquailGirl14 and penny1960 like this.
  3. Henry&Friends

Henry&Friends Songster

May 6, 2018
    They’re young, and haven’t ever seen hawks or dogs. They probably wouldn’t even be looking for them, so if one were coming, they wouldn’t take cover. I have left my chicks with my adult flock (separated by chicken wire) but I wouldn’t leave them alone. Hawks will take a chick within seconds, so i think it would be best to stay with them if they’re in the yard.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  4. Katejc

Katejc In the Brooder

Sep 17, 2019
    Okay thanks for your advice. They definitely seem a lot more concerned with what is in the ground then in the sky. Our tiny black silkie who I am pretty sure is a roo seems to be on high alert and he makes this funny sound which causes all the others to freeze like statues if he senses any danger. Im hoping when everyone is bigger I can trust him to be in charge!

5. penny1960

penny1960 Yippy Do Da, Yipptye Ay!

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Do they have feathers

6. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Crossing the Road Barefoot

Apr 9, 2013
    My Coop
    Predators can and do take chickens even with people being outside. If you want 100% safety they need to be locked up. Any free ranging invites possible predation.

7. Katejc

Katejc In the Brooder

Sep 17, 2019
    Oh yeah, they are 2 months in a couple of days. They are huge.

8. Katejc

Katejc In the Brooder

Sep 17, 2019
    This terrifies me. I usually keep my eyes on the sky whenever they are outside with me. We aren’t wide open, lots of trees so they can’t be spotted easily from a distance. We also have tons of farmland around us so I hope the hawks are well fed with rodents and not that interested.

9. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Crossing the Road Barefoot

Apr 9, 2013
    My Coop
    I went outside not long ago just in time to foil an owl in my yard that was after my chicks. My husband also happened to be around when a young hawk was after pullets a couple of years ago. We've been lucky, but I still let my chickens free range in my yard. I don't want anything to happen to my birds, but I won't keep them in a run.
    My chicks are young but they knew that owl was a predator and took cover. They're smarter than a lot of people give them for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: