Free Silkie roosters in OHIO

GitaBooks

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 23, 2015
USA
Before the spring breeding season arrives I want to lower the number of roosters I have. I have a soft-spot for silkies (and I don't think I could eat a black colored chicken) and so I'm trying to find a home for them before then.
You can take one, two or all three, whatever works for you. Finding even one a home would make it a lot easier for us. We live north of Columbus and are willing to drive two hours or so to drop them off, including if meeting half way.

This is Precious. "She" was suppose to be a hen but that comb of his is looking an awfully lot like that of a roosters. He is part blue silkie and part partridge and has lovely autumn colors in his feathers. Precious is only a few months old and is skittish.

This is Azul, the blue silkie from a local breeder. He is two years old and is wonderfully gentle with hens and their chicks. I wish I could keep him, but because I am starting a breeding project he will only get stressed with so many other roosters around.

Flo and Azul are actually bonded. Azul was older when we got them (by a few weeks) and so he adopted Flo like a son. They came from the same breeder. Flo is a "Show Girl" white silkie and is a very good breeder. Because of his mixed parentage he is far better at flying and running and so is a better breeder and forager then Azul. However, the two are often found near one another and they protect the broody hens and their chicks.

Thanks for considering. Happy New Year!! : )

Last edited:
I would love to take Azul. I have a silkie female that is all alone in her breeding pen. She was tore open by an aggressive rooster, and now I don't let her out unsupervised. I know she has to be lonely.

Azul is popular. He was my favorite of the three too.
lol.png

Is he taken? I would consider any of the 3 if you are fairly close.

I was offered a home for Azul and Flo together, since they are bonded, but perhaps you wouldn't mind taking Precious? He is not quite as tame as the other two, but he was hatched in my hand which was very amazing, so he does come when called and loves to follow people around looking for food.

Thank you so much for the offers guys, this really makes life a lot easier on the flock and the farmer.
smile.png

Last edited:
I was offered a home for Azul and Flo together, since they are bonded, but perhaps you wouldn't mind taking Precious? He is not quite as tame as the other two, but he was hatched in my hand which was very amazing, so he does come when called and loves to follow people around looking for food.

Thank you so much for the offers guys, this really makes life a lot easier on the flock and the farmer. :)

Where are you located? I would travel a little ways. My husband won't let me go too far for my chicken obsession ;)

I received your pm. I asked my husband he feels it's too far to travel. Thanks for holding off until I found out. I hope precious enjoys his new home :)

Back
Top Bottom