1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free Speckled Sussex & BLRW Roos - pick up only NH

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by NH Chicken Lady, May 1, 2009.

1. NH Chicken Lady

NH Chicken Lady Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    New Hampshire
    12 week old Speckled Sussex rooster. Hatchery stock. Vaccinated for Marek's Disease & Coccidiosis. Hasn't crowed yet! A really stunning bird.

I also have 2, 5 week old Blue Laced Red Wyandotte chicks. Most likely they are roosters, but I cant be 100% sure yet. (BLRW are a new breed for me.)

Hatchery stock. Vaccinated for Marek's Disease & Coccidiosis.

Only parting with because I don't want to annoy my neighbors. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. NH Chicken Lady

Jun 23, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Bump...what, nobody wants a free roo? [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Can you make it to any of the NH Chickenstocks? There are several in the next few weeks. You could probably find homes for them that way.

Also, 5 weeks old is a little early to know about the BLRWs. You could post some pictures in the Breed and Gender category and maybe those with BLRWs can help you find out.

-Cindy in MA

4. NH Chicken Lady

Jun 23, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks Cindy...I'll plan to bring them to one of the NH swaps later this month if I cant get rid of them before then.

Some of the BLRW are already have pink combs & are getting wattles...so I'm already thinking roos!

Kelly

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:I had some BLRW chicks that i was positive were roosters because they had red early on (5 weeks). I was sure i had 1 girl and 4 boys........nope.......4 girls and one boy it was. So i suggest hanging onto them til your sure. I have bantam blrw's now and i am trying not to judge so fast. Its very deceiving with wyondottes IMO.

6. NH Chicken Lady

Jun 23, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for the advice Lurky...that is exactly how old they are....5 weeks!

Guess they will be staying with me for a while! LOL!

The 14 week speckeld isnt crowing yet, but he is practicing his courting dance...so Im pretty sure he is a "he".

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Quote:I had some BLRW chicks that i was positive were roosters because they had red early on (5 weeks). I was sure i had 1 girl and 4 boys........nope.......4 girls and one boy it was. So i suggest hanging onto them til your sure. I have bantam blrw's now and i am trying not to judge so fast. Its very deceiving with wyondottes IMO.

I agree. Wyandottes are tougher than other breeds to sex. If you can keep them longer you may want to consider it.

-Cindy

8. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I sex mine as they hatch, by the wing feathering- even is a boy, uneven is a girl.
    now if they are super fuzzy, that blows the whole thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by