Free standing wood burning stoves

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by halo, Dec 21, 2010.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Im giving some serious thought to getting a small free standing wood burning stove. Lowes and Home Depot both have some nice ones. My house is very well insulated, and I really think even a small stove would make a big difference in my heating bill in the winter. I know you wouldnt think it would be much in Florida, but we've had some really cold days and nights, and last year was even worse; this year isnt even over yet. Im thinking I could probably get buy without ever turning on the heat, if I have a stove.

Does anyone have one? Did you install it yourself or have it installed? Was it worth it?

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Just got one, installed it ourselves, and LOVE IT! We got a barrel stove kit. I enjoy it. The heat has barely come on and only during the night when the fire burns out. I have no need of a shredder anymore either, another plus, as I hate shredding papers! Junk mail...burn it, very rewarding [​IMG] It really has not been that much trouble either. We did not do the regular installation either. We went out a window with the pipe rather than start cutting holes in our house. We built a thing for the window that the pipe can go through that is insulated against the pipe. You can touch it with bare hands when it's 82 degrees in the livingroom, so we know it is safe. Also this way, we can completely take it out when not in use. It doesn't look as ghetto as it sounds [​IMG] It actually looks pretty decent. The cost of pipe was the second most expensive cost. They have the small boxwood stoves on clearance right now at TSC, might check that, last I looked, $209 to heat I think 1300 sq.ft.

3. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Just make sure to have it passed by your insurance company, at least here in Canada its a requirement and they are sticky sticky sticky!

4. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:I called my agent and their only stipulations were to make sure the stove pipe was screwed together, otherwise we're good. I found that interesting.

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would love to see a picture of how you vented that pipe thru a window instead of thru a wall. That would make it nice for removing when you dont need it anymore.

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
  7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    my father has a pellet stove. he loves it!!! still has oil heat in his house. his blood is real thin (hes cold really all the time) so he sits on top of the stove. (okay next to it real close).
    he spends alot on pellets. if it were me and my own family, i would invest in a wood only stove. he bought his from a small town shop here in connecticut. he spent about 2,000.00 for it. so far (a few years now) its worked out nicely.
    good luck and gosh stay warm.! [​IMG]

8. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Wow, I just did a TON of research on this topic and posted some of it at ss: http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7085

Bottom
    line: The new "secondary burn" stoves are great and super efficient. Unfortunately where I live, wood isn't plentiful, in fact costs about $300 a cord, so it is actually cheaper for us to heat with gas than wood. [​IMG]

9. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:Well I don't have a pic right now, but I can tell you how and get a pic up later. We basically raised the window, used 2x4's to frame out to fit into the hole, and screwed down a piece of sheet metal onto the frame. Then we cut our hole for the pipe to go through centered into the sheet metal. We used 45's instead of 90's on our elbows to meet the middle of the sheet metal. We went about 30 inches out, and then added the other elbow straight up to the eave of the house, and capped it off with the chimney top. It takes 2 to 3 lengths of pipe out the window and then about 6 up from where we placed ours. DH used some scrap pieces of tin to make some brackets to hold the pipe in place, and screwed the ends to the outside of the house so that wind wouldn't knock our pipe down. He secured it at the top as well. We purposely burned a really hot fire on the trial run when we could stay right with it and watch for any safety issues, we've had it running ever since [​IMG] No problems thus far.

10. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Wood heat is the only kind we have and we love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by