Free standing woodburning stoves and home insurance question ?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Ol'FashionHen, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    I was hoping someone on here may know what the guidelines are for having a free standing woodburning stove with no company name on it for home insurance policy coverage.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I just called my insurance because I too am looking for a woodburning stove. She said as long as it's installed correctly that their should not be a problem. If they see that you have installed on and it isn't installed correctly and they see a fire hazard then they will do something about it.

So, I guess it's up to your insurance Co. if you have to report it or not. I live in Oklahoma, so it could be alot different.

3. tallieb

tallieb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Arizona
    We installed one last winter I told the insurance company and they said that was fine. They just noted it as a supplemental heat source.

4. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    I called my insurance lady and her secretary said to go online and type in the company name and it would tell me how to install the stove. I informed her that it has no name and was made by an individual, so she is supposed to find out and call me back. My dh knows how to install everything by code, I just don't want to go through all the trouble of installtion ($) and not be able to have the house insured because of it.

5. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Through my insurance company, they changed some rules. It HAS to be installed proffessionally or they won't cover it. But....it's only an extra $40.00 a year whether woodstove or pellet stove. And if it was installed before a certain date, it's grandfathered in for installation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by