1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Free: sweet Ameracauna roo Portland OR

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by PDXChickGirl, Oct 29, 2007.

1. PDXChickGirl

PDXChickGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    Hi-
    I have a super sweet Ameracauna roo that is 11 weeks old. I had ordered a female day old chick. "She" just started crowing yesterday, and is just beginning to grow tail feathers. He likes to sit on my lap and be petted and have his neck scratched. I don't think there is a sweeter bird out there, and I'm broken-hearted that I can't keep him. I'd like to get him to a good home before the neighbors complain. Let me know if you are interested. Thank you!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Is that 'Abigail'?

Edited to add: Nevermind, I'm pretty sure it is.

I hope you find a good home for him!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  3. PDXChickGirl

Sep 12, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    Quote:Yes - [​IMG]
    My husband's mother lives in Indianapolis, and we were thinking it would be great if she could bring Abigail to you when she visits next month! (She would definitely not be into it). [​IMG]

4. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    What? She wouldn't want a rooster crowing in the car?! hee hee.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find a good home for him!! :aww

5. jennrauch

jennrauch Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2007
    Dumb question is he able to be shipped? I'm almost thinking not. Gosh I would love to have that beautiful bird. And so would my girls! Good Luck

6. PDXChickGirl

Sep 12, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    Thanks for your good wishes. I actually checked into shipping and it sounds way scarey. My husband and I even thought about making a road trip, but 30 hours with a rooster in the car (and going over the Rockies) is overwhelming. (sigh)

I did post on craig's list and have a couple of people that sound pretty good. I'm going to check them out next weekend. Abigail (I guess Abe now) is getting prettier by the day. He fell asleep on my lap today with his head resting on my hand. I'm just trying to spend as much time with him as possible since this may be my last week with him.

Thanks for listening to me!!

I'll let you know what happens.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  7. Maddhatter

Maddhatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    I'm about 3 1/2 hours from you. If things dont work out with the people on craigs list let me know. I would love to welcome him into my family. Maybe you could E-mail me a photo being the other photos dont seem to showing up for me.

8. PDXChickGirl

Sep 12, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    UPDATE:
    I delivered Abigail/Abe to her new home today. He is on a farm about 45 minutes away with 2 hens. I think he's going to be very happy. The owner really cares about her pet chickens.

It was very traumatic leaving him though. The other 2 hens pecked him and he flew over the stall walls in the barns right into my arms. A major momma's boy. Before we left, we built a little enclosure in the coop so he won't get hen pecked and they can all get used to each other.

I have to admit, I was bawling like a baby the whole way home and even though we had a beautiful day, I crawled into bed and slept until 8:00 pm. I'm still so sad, but I know it's the best thing for him.

Do others feel this way about their chickens. Only my husband understands. [​IMG] I know we did the best for Abigail/Abe, and that helps a tiny bit. It just doesn't seem fair I couldn't keep him in a neighborhood that has construction, yippie dogs, loud cars, etc...
    Oh well...

THanks everyone who responded, and thanks so much again for listening to me.

Stephanie

9. Juniemoon

Juniemoon New Egg

Mar 23, 2008
    Hi stephanie, I My wife and I caught your posts about your Roo and coop probs. Glad to see that your roo buddy got a good home. I sent a message yesterday to you but not sure if it got thru. We just signed up about a week ago to BYC. Hard to find someone from "wet and now snowy"[​IMG]:frow:frow:frow:frow portland to talk to. Would love to exchange notes on general chicken info. Hope this gets thru to you. Thanks, John and Kate

10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Awww you made me teary [​IMG] I had this same thing happen a few years ago. I live in a smallish town though, and was able to find a home for my pullet turned roo just outside of town.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by