FREE to a good home only! Helping a friend rehome her hens...S. MAINE

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by SeaChick, Nov 2, 2007.

1. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Hi all-

A local woman I know moved and her Dad has been taking care of her hens, but they need to find homes for them before he goes travelling around Thanksgiving.

They are 1.5 years old (ie last spring's chicks) and laying well. The flock was only 6 girls; we have adopted two of them, and still needingt homes are:
    Henrietta- New Hampshire Red
    Bonnie- EE (they call them Araucanas)
    Beatrice- EE
    Gertrude- Barred Rock
    You can see them in these news clips (click the "play video" links over the photos)
    http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=63220
    http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=64471

If anyone has any interest in these girls, please respond to us and we'll pass along the contact info. The birds are in South Portland, Maine and I'm pretty sure they won't ship them.

Thanks!!
    Stacey

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Do the EE's actually lay blue/green eggs?? Do they look healthy?
    I'm interested in the EE's.

Ps... Hazel is doing great, no eggs, but that was expected. I think she thinks she's a parrot! Everytime zi take her out she's up on my shoulders, will have to trim her nails, though...ouch!! She's even shy of the Silkies, so right now she's in...well don't laugh...she's sharing a snack with DD. I feel bad about her just having to stay by herself in that area, so she's in my living room. [​IMG] Don't worry I have all hardwood and tile floors...I think I've gone off the deep end. [​IMG]

3. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Hi Angie-

Well, Hazel's used to being inside since she was in "jail" in my office here last week! I do hope she can be integrated into the rest of your flock, though.... sorry she's high-maintenance right now! Is she happy to be with you or crying and whining (she did that inside at our house)? I really hope it works out.

The 2 EEs look healthy and I THINK they both lay colored eggs, but I will pass your email on to Marylou (the owner) if you want, and she can probably answer that for you. Bonnie (rose comb, beard) is the low hen and Beatrice (single comb and no facial hair) picks on her a bit; her head is kinda bald........... so I don't know about that, whether that's a problem or not....... Anyway let me know if you want me to give Marylou your email address or not. If you come down to get them maybe you could stop by our house for a visit?!

Stacey

4. Frozen Feathers

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Well I think she liked it (she's back out in her area in the coop now) because DD kept feeding her treats. She got some banana, some cheerios and some cheese. DD tried to feed her some MM's but I said no, not knowing if it was bad for her or not.

Yes, please give her my e-mail address. I would like to add some EE's with blue egg gene to my flock. I would come to visit as well. [​IMG]

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Angie, sorry to butt in, but Cheerios are okay to feed. (In moderation like most starches...)

6. Frozen Feathers

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I know... it was the MM's I was concerned about... [​IMG]

7. mario2girls

mario2girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2007
    wish we had been aware a few weeks ago, could have picked them up when we picked up jack, but i dont ever want to take that ride again...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by