Free to good home —Hand-raised Ameracauna Roosters

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by NortonKittyOllie, Sep 11, 2009.

1. NortonKittyOllie

NortonKittyOllie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Hi all,

New to this whole chicken-raising thing. I took a crack at raising 6 Ameracauna chicks that were given to me by a work colleague (hey, they were free). He couldn't sex the chicks and frankly neither could I... so it was a gamble. And since I wasn't sure who would end up being a hen or a rooster I had to wait until someone laid an egg or crowed.

Well, my luck, 5 of the 6 started crowing! So my boys need a home... one where they won't end up on the dinner table. I don't know the specific, technical terms for their coloring but I'll give it a shot. I do have pictures though.

1 White and Black Speckled
    2 Spangled (Black, White, and Red)
    1 Golden Red
    1 Dark Red (He's my favorite! Beautiful!!!) missing his tail for now (the others plucked it out)

No worries about the lonely hen (yes, she is slightly depressed) She will soon have definite "sisters".

Any takers???
    I live outside Philadelphia, PA

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. gwennym

gwennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    Would you be willing to ship to Illinois?

3. NortonKittyOllie

Sep 9, 2009
    Philadelphia
    I was hoping to relocate them within a reasonable driving distance... but if not, I guess I could consider thinking about shipping (makes me a bit nervous though... I don't know how that works). Oh, and which ones are you interested in?

4. turtleblossom

turtleblossom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Kentucky
    Your roosters sound very nice, but I am pretty sure they are Easter Eggers, and not true Ameraucanas. See the sticky at the top of the breeds section to find more info. You might want to change the title of your post to reflect this.

5. gwennym

gwennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    I could take any or all of them. I wouldn't be eating them -- I just really like roosters! They will free-range and I have a large pole barn for shelter. If you have no other takers and would be willing to ship them, I'd be happy to split the shipping costs. I know that the post office has special boxes for live animals and they'd be able to instruct you as to how, etc.

Gwen

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I wish you were closer.......so bad.....

7. brandyballard

brandyballard New Egg

Sep 17, 2009
    I was wondering if you could post pics see I know one of mine is a pullet but my other one not so sure about yet

8. NortonKittyOllie

Sep 9, 2009
    Philadelphia
    HI gwennym,

I am seriously thinking about it! : )

1st pic is McNugget (with a couple others including Little to the left)
    2nd pic is my only hen (Little)
    3rd pic is Big Red (My fav) sitting on my lap with Little and McNugget in the background. He's missing his tail because the others plucked it out.
    4th pic in Noddle
    5th pic is PotPie (they LOVE hosta flowers!)
    Only Marsala is missing his beauty shot but he looks VERY similar to Noodle except his hood is black instead of white like Noodle's.

Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  9. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

#2 and #5 are BEAUTIFUL w/pea combs! Are you willing to ship to Colorado? (oh please say yes [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by