free treats for the gals

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by artsyrobin, Jun 10, 2011.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    my flock used to free range, but after a bunch of losses this last few months that has changed to an hour or so in the morning and at dusk- i did discover- sounds gross, but they love those hanging fly catcher bottles- they will stand and pick the flies off...ewwww...but it keeps them busy.... my BA Tick stood there watching those flies, pecked at the outside a bit and figured out how to get them... smart little girl...and now they all do it

warning- gross pics.....[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ceth_k

ceth_k New Egg

Jun 9, 2011
    This is gross! Watching lovely chickens doing something like that is just plain weird.

3. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    [​IMG] I'm sure the hens LOVE it! Extra protein! Lol, chickens are full of surprises, and amazing good at problem solving as well as learning from one another. [​IMG]

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    That is what chicken heaven must look like. [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I guess your chickens are bottle fed? [​IMG]

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i know! what a shock when i first saw them fight over a frog= they seem so innocent- but really, hi protein snacks... as gross as it is.... and with the cost of feed nowdays, every little bit helps![​IMG]

7. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    I've actually heard stories of chickens eating stray mice that wandered into coops, never seen it happen though.

8. WendyCFL

WendyCFL Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Oviedo FL
    yuck!! I wouldn't be able to kiss their little beaks after that! We got 2 turkeys years back and the biggest benefit (they ended up being nasty to us) is that we haven't lost a single chicken since they arrived! Guess they have good eyesight and would make noise at any low flying bird (hawk or not). They've well earned their keep! If you can have turkeys, maybe give them a try?? Mine were adult toms when we got them.

9. Billyj

Billyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    What kind of attractant do you use in your fly traps? Is it not danderous for the chickens??

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I toss mouse carcasses into the yard when they have been caught and killed in the RatZapper traps. No poisons at all, the units electrocute the mice. The chickens fight over the mice... full on chases and everything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by