Free worms

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by roosterjerry, May 14, 2009.

1. roosterjerry

roosterjerry Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Rineyville,KY
    I know some of you will not be able to do this but if you are out in the country like me you can. I went by the bait store the other day to get some meal worms for treats for the Bantys. The owner of the bait shop tells me "you want worms for chickens get a old bail of hay find a out of the way spot and wet it you will have all the worms you need" So we all ready happened to have a few bails that got left out and got wet bingo. I flipped one over and I got at least thirty earth worms in about ten minutes.

2. poopcoop

poopcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Swansea, SC
    GREAT INFO> Thanks

3. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Great thanks!
    I am on a quest for worms this year.

4. shawnkfl

shawnkfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    christiansburg, VA
    walk around a cow pasture and kick over "patties". you'll have more worms than you'll know what to do with! (tip...wear gloves)

5. Lumenos

Lumenos Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    San Gabriel Valley
    Earthworms can carry many parasites.
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/htm/bc/tpou05.htm

I wonder if the nutrients obtained from earthworms are worth the nutrients lost to parasites, or more noticeable health problems. Once the chicken have parasites the eggs accumulate in the soil unless composted, and many do have parasites without obvious symptoms.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  6. Equus5O

Equus5O Chillin' With My Peeps

I never thought I'd see the day I'd be rooting through the compost picking out worms for chickens. It was kinda therapeutic, actually [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by