freebie from MM...at 5 weeks....help I D ????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by justusnak, Apr 15, 2007.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

OK, this is my little freebie girl? Im not sure what she is...I have looked at several pics, I was thinking Barred rock? Also, is calling her a she...right? I dont see anything on top there, no comb...Havent picked a name for this one....she/he is very friendly tho.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas???

2. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    She looks like a barred rock to me!
    she is beautiful btw

3. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    My guess would be a Barred Rock also.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Could it possible be a Dominique??? This was the exotic freebie...and MM list them under thier exotic?? Hmmm, im just not sure.

5. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Hmm...I'm no expert but MM lists both Dominiques and Cuckoo Marans as exotics...couldn't it possibly be one of those?

6. Redneckchick

Redneckchick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Coldwater , Ms
    Looks like one of my dominiques....just my opinion.Have 10 little ones running around today in their NEW coop and the older ladies and Gent (7) and curious hearing them with their little chick chirps.

7. CranberryBirds

CranberryBirds Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2007
    last year my "free exotic chick" from MM looked just like that.....I don't know what it was except that it turned out to be a roo so I re-homed it. Maybe they are playing fast and loose with the term "exotic."

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It is not a Cuckoo Marans because it has yellow legs and the Marans have white/pink legs. Can't tell about the comb. If it has a single, it is a Barred Rock or Barred Holland, if a rose comb, a Dominique.

9. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

It's probably a Barred Rock or Dominique since Cuckoo Marans have grey/pink legs. And yes, so far it looks like a pullet! [​IMG]

10. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Thanks so much everyone....I dont see a comb coming in at all! nothing! Notta! would that be a "rose comb" coming in late? I was thinking Dominique....there are black "streaks" down the front of her legs...Guess I will know when she is bigger. I was thinking of a name.....Donna the Dominique...Ohhh, im no good at ameing chickens. I just call them all babies! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by