Freebie joined the big girls tonight...

DeannaOR

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Colton, Oregon
We took our three pullets and Freebie, my RP turkey poult down to the coop tonight. They are big enough to join the other "tweeners". We keep them in a coop within the coop so they can all get to know each other without the adult chickens picking on them. We are hoping this will mean a smoother transition later
The three pullets jumped right in with the crowd, checked out the food and water, stared at the other chicks, ran around, attempted to join the nightly chick pile in the corner.
Freebie did not. She frantically paced back and forth peeping for me. I know this is the right thing...just a part of her growing up..yadda yadda blah blah...but her peep peep peep does something to me! I wanna put a turkey diaper on her and move her into the house. It's crazy..so not me at all. I don't feel that way about the chicks...just Freebie. I must be losing it!

Its good that you have Pullets I hope there the same age or there abouts because Turkeys are very social birds they do better with there own kind.
To me chickens are like cats and Turkeys are like dogs my RB s follow me around and want attention at 6 weeks of age.
This is my daughter with a Turkey snuggling.

Its good that you have Pullets I hope there the same age or there abouts because Turkeys are very social birds they do better with there own kind.
To me chickens are like cats and Turkeys are like dogs my RB s follow me around and want attention at 6 weeks of age.
I received Freebie as a gift when I bought an adult RP hen. She has been with three chicks this whole time. I got the chicks just so she wouldn't be alone. Now they are together with a group that is a little bit bigger than them...but not adults. I was worried they would pick on Freebie, but that is not the case. This morning they were picking on the three new pullets. Integrating chickens is tough! You are sooooo right on with the chickens=cats, turkeys=dogs!!! Chickens are ruthless to each other.

Freebie is now in "general population", no more chicken jail =) She is doing really well. The first time we tried to let her out, she got beat up on, so we put her back. It's a month later and she came out ready to defend herself. The rooster tried to square off with her..and she went back at him! She even followed him around until he ran from her. I think it's odd...but he stopped picking at her. The Spitzhaubens have also been put in check. Just my two oldest hens have given her some grief. She has made friends with the Dorking trio and Marans youngster and they all sleep together.
I'm so proud of her =)

Back
Top Bottom