Freedom Ranger as egg layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by familychickenman, Dec 1, 2009.

1. familychickenman

familychickenman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2008
    I read a post somewhere that someone had raised some freedom ranger's from JM Hatchery and used them as egg layers. I am looking for more info from anyone who has done this. What color, size eggs do they lay? Aprox how many eggs per week do they lay? Have you noticed whether they are able to obtain more of their food free range then other chickens?

http://www.jmhatchery.com/free-range-broiler/freedom-ranger-chicks/prod_5.html

thanks

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I hope you find the post you are looking for. Sometimes the search button is difficult to use. I know they are meat birds, but are they crosses?
    Do they breed true?

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    When the folks over in the Meat Birds ETC get into genetics discussions it gets very technical very quickly, but I gathered that breeding is very complicated. I can't remember if it's because they don't breed true or due to low fertility or what, but the consensus was that it is easier to purchase than to breed.

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    They lay nice big eggs though! I know because I have some! Best of all, they lay right though the winter!

5. familychickenman

familychickenman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2008
    I spoke to someone on another forum who has used them as laying hens. She said they start laying around 18 weeks. Lay light brown eggs up to 6 per week, which are medium to large in size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by