Freedom Ranger leg issues?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Mrs. Mucket, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Has anyone who kept Rangers for breeding had leg problems show up later on? One of my 5-month-old roos that is usually very active has been sitting for three days, moving around a bit in the coop but not venturing outside. Today I carried him outside and later back in, and both times when I put him down he would not stand on his feet. I checked him out and saw nothing unusual I could identify as a problem.

2. KNP

KNP Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2010
    NW Michigan
    We kept only one FR rooster for breeding our many kinds of hens. He is 6 months old and able to perform! He was chosen from the other FR roosters for his sturdy legs. The others walked somewhat like ducks...awkwardly. Plus he has beautiful multi-colored feathering. So far all is well with him. Don't know what our cold winters will do to him though.

3. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Mrs. Mucket :

Has anyone who kept Rangers for breeding had leg problems show up later on? One of my 5-month-old roos that is usually very active has been sitting for three days, moving around a bit in the coop but not venturing outside. Today I carried him outside and later back in, and both times when I put him down he would not stand on his feet. I checked him out and saw nothing unusual I could identify as a problem.

this happened to the 5 month rooster i kept back.. i thought he was going down on his legs for good, and that we may have to cull him.. i just REALLY started holding his food back even more for a week or so and he pulled through.

this was like a month ago and he is good as new now...he's mounting the older hens already​

4. Mrs. Mucket

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Our boy is still not on his feet but he did eat some yogurt and feed pellets and drank some electolyte water. It seems like one leg is hurting but I can't see visible injury. He splays it out like the FRs all did as chicks. Whenever I check him he has scooted into a corner facing the corner like he doesn't want to be bothered by his doting hens.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Mrs. Mucket :

Our boy is still not on his feet but he did eat some yogurt and feed pellets and drank some electolyte water. It seems like one leg is hurting but I can't see visible injury. He splays it out like the FRs all did as chicks. Whenever I check him he has scooted into a corner facing the corner like he doesn't want to be bothered by his doting hens.

Do you have other boys?​

6. Mrs. Mucket

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Casanova didn't make it [​IMG] . I don't know what he died from--leg or internal injury, infection from an injury, or something totally different. All the other chickens seem fine. Cas was excused from freezer camp because of his affectionate personality. A few months ago when my daughter sat in the pen to tag potential keepers, he kept climbing onto her lap. At the time he didn't look much different from the other cockerels, but he grew to a beautiful red bird with glints of green in his tail feathers. He was a good protector and the girls seemed to like him.

Mstricer, we do have another FR roo, D-boy. D-boy was alpha roo and has been in another pen with his own harem since before Cas appeared to be sick, but I haven't ruled out a challenge as the cause of injury.

We had a turkey poult go lame, act similarly and die a few months ago. He just laid around for several days and didn't respond to anything we did. So twice now, similar story--does it sound like something anyone can pinpoint?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by