1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Freedom Ranger Vs. Heritage Breeds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by GreatBreeder, Jun 14, 2017.

1. GreatBreeder

GreatBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2017
    BYC
    Freedom Rangers include a variety of hubbard crosses based on Redbro Females x Coloryeild Yellow/ Redbro/ Tricolor Males. (I got that from joel Martin). We all know these were label rouge crosses for people unsatisfied with Cornish Crosses. We've seen tons of comparisons with them and Cornish Cross. Never with heritage breeds.

To my knowledge Bresse and White Cornish are superior, they get bigger, they're heritage, and lay vastly better. They're widely unavalible, but more people should start breeding them just like freedom rangers have become widely avalible.

I'd like any input you all have on freedom Rangers and heritage breeds, no Cornish Cross though.

ZachyWachy, The Angry Hen and JRNash like this.
  2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I am not going to touch this one. I have heritage breeds with limited experience using more production oriented breeds. Once feed brought into the equation, production breeds can kick butt. The problem is how complete your investment is. If you skimp, some of the heritage breeds might do better. Might.

3. GreatBreeder

Feb 11, 2017
    BYC
    Well I know you can restrict the feed on Cornish Cross and get them to go with layers so they range and they do well, but Freedom Rangers are kind of feed extensive.

4. GreatBreeder

Feb 11, 2017
    BYC
    For cockerels it's found my crow time to go.

5. KoopOnTruckin

KoopOnTruckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2016
    East Orlando, FL
    I'm also eager to hear some answers on these questions. I have experience with a few heritage breeds from hatcheries, and I can say that you should stay away from hatcheries if that is your plan. They do create great fast-growing hybrids though, and my only experience there is with Cornish Crosses. I'm working on heritage Delawares, using a mix of the largest females from a hatchery and some breeder stock. Everyone I've talked to locally (FL) says that Dels are their go-to dual-purpose breed.
    I also agree with @centrarchid that it has a lot to do with the feed. I've heard that fermented feed helps with cost as well as weight gain, so I've switched over to that recently and can already see a difference in my birds. They are eager to forage more, they eat everything I put in front of them, they eat half the amount (when dry), they seem to have more energy, and they seem to be gaining weight quicker.

JRNash likes this.
  6. GreatBreeder

Feb 11, 2017
    BYC
    If you're breeding delawares cull the hens and take some Cornish Cross hens. Few generations of that and you get the Corndel, a sustainable meat bird that never hit the market.

JRNash likes this.
  7. KoopOnTruckin

KoopOnTruckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2016
    East Orlando, FL
    I've heard of that, but not that much info on what they are from. Do you know how long they take to hit market weight?

8. GreatBreeder

Feb 11, 2017
    BYC
    Aka Delaware rooster over Cornish Rock

9. GreatBreeder

Feb 11, 2017
    BYC
    Well about 12 weeks and the simple cockerel rule.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by