1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Freedom Rangers - Are they a BREED, or a TYPE of chicken?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bobbi-j, Dec 8, 2013.

1. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I've heard a little about them, and am contemplating getting a couple dozen in the spring. But I'd like to know if they are a specific breed, and can I hold back a cockerel and a few pullets to raise my own in the following year or two, or are they a type of chicken like the cornish crosses? I know cornish cross chickens really can't be raised for re-breeding. Also, are "Red Rangers" the same as "Freedom Rangers"? I'd like to hear what those of you who have had experience with these birds think. I have a neighbor who thinks very highly of them.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Freedom rangers are similar to red rangers. To the best of my knowledge they can't be duplicated. You can ask FR hatchery but I doubt they will breed true. They are a hybrid from a French genetics company, FR hatchery purchased the birds from them for importation to the US.

3. arturorendon

arturorendon New Egg

Dec 8, 2013
    mission,texas
    Le fleche,the name means arrow,because they have a double comb.they are also called devil bird,because the comb looks like horns.they are an old breed,from france.they are supposed to be the tastiest of chickens.black to dark blue.when I was young haveing chickens was a the norm my yard is big enough to have an enclosed coup.I have wolves that wont let anything near them,just need the birds.bye the way love the forum.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Thank you both for the information. It will be an interesting experiment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by