Freedom Rangers-chicks dieing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kristenbarn, Mar 20, 2017.

1. kristenbarn

kristenbarn New Egg

Mar 20, 2017
    Okay, new chick mama here. We have 50 freedom rangers chicks on 3/8. One died we believe from suffocation on 3/10. Chicks have been growing great!! Gave them electrolytes in their water until last Thursday. Changed out their bedding on Friday. Yesterday, put in a new feeder at 2 and at 3:15 there was another one dead with beak stuck in corner. Pretty sure it suffocated too. Put carboard in corners to round them off. All doing GREAT!! Got up to use the bathroom at 1, checked on them sleeping soundly. Checked on them again at 7. Still GREAT!! Went in at 8:45 to refill water and food. No problem, while filling up water, I hear a broohaha in the brooder box and all the chicks have fluttered to one side and one chick no in a corner but near the electric hen, is twitching. It died. I left it there because, I know sometimes their little hearts can restart, it didnt. Any thoughts? We have 50 freedom rangers in a 4x6 box. We're using lrg shavings of pine for bedding, we have a electric hen, and heat lamp suspended about two ft above box. We have given them electrolytes for a week. Using PDZ for smell because they are in my garage. Their poops are well formed. Thoughts?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry for your loss.

It sounds like you need more space. Can you make another 4x6 brooder and split the brood in half?

Add multiple food/water stations. You have basically answered your own question - you have had 3 die of suspected suffocation. One because of a "broohaha" in the brooder. Spooked chicks trample, pile, panic and suffocate. Who know what starts it, but it happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by