Freedom Rangers free ranging?

Just Fluff

Chirping
11 Years
Nov 30, 2008
I'm looking at purchasing some Freedom Rangers to free range my pasture and possibly some organic orchards for meat birds to sell. Does anyone have any experience with this breed as a strictly or mainly free range bird and how their weight gain might compare to a more commercial feed? I don't mind a bit slower growth, as I am looking for a quality meat, with no additives, etc.

Thank you!

This is a great question. I feed my last batch of birds over 600lbs of feed. I had it out 24/7. Right now I have a combo of egg layers and meat birds and I am VERY curious to know how they will do with reduced feed rations..... They have 3 acres of wooded property to free range...

Salatin says that the typically has a reduced feed bill of around 30% compared to penned up chickens.

During the summer, I rarely feed my chickens. They get everything they need from free range and my eggs taste absolutely amazing! But for broilers, you would need feed.

A summer ago, I didn't feed any of my poultry and they did fine, but they weren't specifically meat birds, just a mix of egg layers, roosters, a few geese and two tom turkeys. I would be interested in doing some research on some of these breeds and see how they do on free range compared to feed. I don't want to mess with the Cornish X because we live above 6,000 feet, and I honestly don't want a breed I have to worry about keeling over if not fed exactly right. Just doesn't seem natural to me, and I would like to stay as natural as I can with my program. If anyone is interested, I'll post it here when I get set up.

Quote:
You know, that sounds like an excellent project. I think I'll get some broilers this spring and see what happens. I'll assume that they would definitely grow slower, but I would also assume that the taste would improve.

Let me know how it goes!

I am going to get 50 cx and 50 red broilers. I have researched and figured out the amount of feed per week for each, assuming they are penned 24/7 with all food and water accounted for- it's nuts! I am going to plan on having to buy all that feed, well budgeting for it at least, but I am going to free range them all and try to figure out the savings. I won't be paying myself for the labor involved of moving them daily but I hope I can see a savings of 30% at least on the red broilers maybe not so much on the cx. It is an experiment! Good luck

Back
Top Bottom