Freedom Rangers in the tractor!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by wholehearted, May 11, 2011.

1. wholehearted

wholehearted Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Ohio
    Finally get to test out the tractor. Dh built it a while ago and it's just been waiting for the Rangers to get big enough to try it out...and for the weather to warm a little.

[​IMG]

Three weeks old. Enjoying the fresh air. The air in my garage will probably be fresher if they keep their mess outdoors too!

[​IMG]

These guys are growing fast! They basically doubled their weights from last week and seem very happy and healthy...just a little awkward looking with the new feathers right now. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. ChicaChicken

ChicaChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Michigan
    Pretty cool!

3. Lark Rise

Lark Rise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    OK, so....dumb question alert. [​IMG] What are Freedom Rangers? Are they their own breed or are they crosses? Are they dual purpose or just for eating? Where do you get them from?

4. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Nice!

I have 25 due here next week, tractor is all but fnished.

5. Quote:A Freedom Ranger is a meat bird that has been transported from France, I believe. Though they're not as big as the Cornish X and not as fast in growing, they're great free rangers. You can get them at this link: http://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/purchase

(And
    that isn't a dumb question, I had to ask myself once).

6. wifeofyoyopro

wifeofyoyopro Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    North Carolina
    I like your tractor! Did you get the plans from somewhere or did you create it yourselves? I am getting approx. 25 meaties in a week and need to make a tractor or two for them. I have lots of pallets and chicken wire to do it with but need ideas, how to's. How do you have the "living quarters" (roosts, etc.)? Or is that just a big empty box on the ground? Do you plan to keep them in it all the time or let the free range?

Any ideas helpful! Thanks

7. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Great tractor, Wholehearted! Cute little FRs too [​IMG]

8. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

Looks good, wholehearted!! I put my FR's out in a 10 x 10 dog pen last week, and hubby and I move it every day. It's pretty heavy, but I didn't have to ask him to build anything else and we already had the dog pen.

I just woke up, and it's pouring outside. We have a tarp on the pen, but I bet those guys are getting wet. It's only rained like twice this year, and right after we move them a severe thunderstorm moves thru the area. Just my luck. I hope they will survive after getting a bit damp. At least it's warm here.

9. gevannos

gevannos Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    I'm doing Cornish X's this year but was wondering can I mix a few Freedom Rangers in next year or should they be separate?

10. wholehearted

wholehearted Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:We are totally new at this, so we are still trying things out to see what works. After spending a lot of times here on the forum, this is what we came up with. Dh built it based on a lot of the pics he saw. It is solid and heavy, but surprisingly easy to move with wheels that can be put on one end. It's basically just an 8x8 moveable box with their feeders and waterers inside. We used those plastic roofing panels for the top and the whole thing is covered in hardware cloth. Part of the top opens and there is a door on one end. We did not put roosts because they are not needed for meat birds (as I understand) and could actually lead to some problems like breast blister for larger heavier birds. We are going to use Premier PoultryNet (electrified moveable mesh) around the tractor once they are in it full-time to protect from nighttime predators and allow them a bit more room to range during the day. But some people get by just fine with a tractor only.

I would be a little cautious of using just chicken wire. From what I understand, it is not very secure against predators. If you do a search in the meat bird forum, you can find a lot of ideas for different kinds of chicken tractors. There is everything from hoop-shaped pvc to wooden box-shaped to who knows what else. Figuring out what will work for your situation is the key. I'm sure a lot of other (more knowledgeable) people here will be happy to answer any questions you encounter along the way. I know everyone has been very helpful to me here!!

Quote:Nothing like a rainy initiation, huh? Well, I hope it passes quickly and I'm sure they'll be fine. They seem pretty robust to me so far. We had a lot of fun just watching them in the grass yesterday. We brought ours back in the brooder last night because more rain was forecast. I think it's still a bit early for the rainy/cold combo at night and I have no way to do a heat lamp out there. They did not want to come out of that tractor, so it was fun trying to catch them all. [​IMG] We got our PoultryNet yesterday, so we'll put that up soon and (hopefully) put them outside for good. Looks like rain and nighttime temps in the 40-50 degree range for the whole next week....and I was really enjoying these last few beautiful spring days!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by