Freedom rangers the best non-cornish cross meat bird?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by imthedude, Dec 16, 2010.

1. imthedude

imthedude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    Gonna raise some meat birds in the spring and don't want to raise cornish cross. Thinking freedom rangers are the next best option. Am I thinking right? Is JM the best source for Freedom Rangers?

2. ijon1

ijon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    gaines, michigan
    Quote:I think they are, but thats just my opinion. I think the taste and texture are excellent. Some people like ten pound chickens, I like five or six pound chickens. They fit my bill. I split a order the first time around. Next year my neice wants me to order more so we could split them. She was so impressed with the flavor.

3. ixnay

ixnay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Bridgton, Maine
    I am also very impressed with the Freedom Rangers. Grew out 25 last year, never a problem, ranged them in a hoop house (will try to figure out something with a larger area this year), they act like chickens but are sufficiently identical that it's easy not to name them, and the plucked carcass looks great. And, of course, tastes great.

Looking to do more this year, once I figure out the housing. Hawks and foxes could be a problem.

-- Nan

4. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Quote:I started a thread 2 weeks ago, when my FR arrived. I put some photos up of them the day they arrived, and at 10 days. They are growing by leaps & bounds. I will post pics & updates each week there. I think its called "Freedon Rangers arrived today"

I haven't had CX's so can't compare, but they are growing well so far. The only thing I see different from normal chicks is they have more crooked toes...but huge legs & feet. And of course grow fast!

Sue

ps and I did get them from J.M. all arrived alived & well.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by